BY : Kampuzz Team

Date : 14-09-2015

Total Views : 263

IIT-NIT Admissions: Board Marks Not Required from 2016


National Institute of Technology (NIT) might announce a major change in the admission procedure for the next academic session. From next year admission in NITs will be totally based on JEE-Main Scores. A Government-appointed committee will likely recommend doing away with the weightage given to the marks attained in board examinations.

Director of Indian Institute of Technology Bombay and a member of the panel, Devang Khakhar said, "We would be recommending scrapping of weightages given to board marks," in a PTI report. The final decision will be made in the beginning of next month, when the human resource development minister Smriti Irani chairs a meeting with NIT officials.

According to the present policy of NITs, 60% of weightage is given to the JEE-Main score and remaining 40% to the board marks.

The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) didn’t announce JEE-Main result on time for the counseling and accused state boards for the delay in submitting results of class 12. The delay in results led to the rescheduling of admission in IITs, causing agitation among students and their parents.

"It was felt that the reform would put an end to the menace of coaching, but on the contrary, more students went for coaching to better their scores in board exams", Devang Khakhar said.

Q&A