GSVM Medical College is a medical college located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh which was established in the year 1955 and it is also the first medical college to be established in the state of Uttar Pradesh. It offers various Bachelor and Masters programs in the field of medicine, surgery, pharmacy and paramedical sciences. The academic excellence and the social concern initiatives displayed by this college is remarkable not just in India but the world over. It also provides PHD in Biochemistry.
The G.S.V.M. Medical College ,Kanpur cam into existence in November, 1955 and its foundation stone was laid down by Honorable Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, on April 24 , 1956. This medical college aims at a complete and comprehensive teaching and training of medical students along with their character building. This institute is playing a major role in providing health services in Kanpur & adjoining districts.It is committed to the dissemination and advancement of knowledge in various specialities of medical science and establishing itself as a centre of excellence. G.S.V.M. Medical College,Kanpur, known for its academic excellence world over , is named after Late Shri Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, a great freedom fighter ,who lost his life at the altar of the communal frenzy in Kanpur in March 1931.
This was the first medical college of U.P. established in independent India, forming a landmark in the annals of medical education in the state of U.P.. It is one of the five medical colleges in India established under the second five year plan.
This college came into existence in November 1955 and its foundation stone was laid down by Hon'ble Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, on April 24, 1956. Late Dr. S.N. Mathur was the first Principal of this college. Teaching and training of the students was first started at King George's Medical College, Lucknow due to pending construction of the building at Kanpur. Staff on temporary basis was recruited from 1st May, 1957 by selection through an adhoc committee appointed by the government. The students had their training in preclinical subjects for the first two years at Lucknow and then the selected staff and all the students were shifted to Kanpur. Dr. C.B. Singh was mainly responsible for starting the teaching at medical college, Kanpur from 1st August 1957. This institution was inaugurated by Dr. Sampoorna Nand, Chief Minister of U.P on Dec. 13, 1959.
To begin with, the college was affiliated to Lucknow University and latter in 1968, when Kanpur University was established, the college was affiliated to it. Since then this medical college has been growing in every sphere and has earned a National and International fame for its excellent research work & teaching. Under the guidance of our dynamic Principal Dr. Anand Swaroop this college is gaining new achievements in all the aspect of it. Accommodation The Institute offers a wide range of On Campus and Off Campus Accommodations to the Student. Medical college has one staff club. Staff club has separate building between Boys hostel no. 5 and R-Block of staff residences.