Initiated in 1956, Post Graduate Government College for Girls is still going strong, and continues to produce the convincing methodologies for students to mark excellence in academics, sports and cultural activities as well. Due to its establishing performance as an education provider, it has been granted with?A Grade?by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) (2004). It aims at offering certain UG courses in Humanities, Science, Commerce, Media Studies and Computer Applications as well as Post-Graduate courses along with prolific Merit Scholarships and Scholarships for the disadvantaged.
Placement Cell aims at providing information to the students about job vacancies and the availability of different job oriented courses/classes in the city by different institutes.
Average package offered:2.2 Lakhs per annum.
Top Recruiting Companies
- Aviva Insurance
and many more...
- The hostel provides a congenial ambience for academic pursuits.
- Students from various states such as Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, U.P., Bihar, Manipur, Rajasthan come over to seek admission in Hostel.
- The admission is strictly on merit basis.
- The total number of seats in the college is 260.
- In the education scenario, the students with their hard work and devotion have proved their remarkable best.
- In the Panjab University exams during the academic session 2005-2006, 27 students of Ist year and 50 students of IInd year scored above 60% marks.
- The hostel of Government College for Girls, Sector-42 is modern in concept and design having latest amenities like television with cable connections, music system, indoor and outdoor games, newspapers and General Knowledge magazines, water coolers, public telephones and electric geysers.
- There are facilities of Non Conventional energy resources also like Solar geysers and Solar Lights.
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
Computerization of Library
- Government College for Girls, Sector-42 has a well equipped library, providing modern infrastructure to cater to the educational, informative and teaching needs of the staff and students.
- The library is located at the second floor in a separate independent wing of Government College for Girls, Sector-42.
- The whole library has been divided into following sections to provide different library services to its readers / users as per needs.
- Four Pentium-4 PCs have been installed in the different sections of the library with total local networks.
- The automation of the library is in progress.
- A Database of about 24000 books gas already been created.
- Government College for Girls, Sector-42 Library has also the facilities of Intercom and Reprographic.
- Government College for Girls, Sector-42 has introduced academic programmes in the area of Computer Science and Bachelor of Computer Application.
- Government College for Girls, Sector-42 has introduced programme in soft skills in collaboration with the I.T. Department of the Chandigarh Administration.
- Government College for Girls, Sector-42 has fully established with respect to Technology up gradation; the area of Automation work specially relating to library and office; 1 Mbps internet connection; email and an official website. The website now features online attendance updates of the students, results as well as E-Catalogue.
- Computer Science
- Communicative English
- Fine Arts
- Music-Vocal and Instrumental
- Home Science
- 400 Mts. Track
- Volley-ball Court
- Basket-ball Court
- Badminton Court
- Sports Training Room (for indoor activities)
- Established in the year 1982 with Arts and Commerce faculties.
- Goal is to prepare the students for academic and professional career.
- College has three units of N.S.S. and one unit of NCC (Army Wing) and many subject societies