Fergusson College?(FC) was founded in 1885, with the assistance of Deccan Education Society?and was the first surreptitiously administered college in India. With an earned affiliation from University of Pune and endorsed by NAAC with ?A? grade, it offer various UG & PG courses under an affordable administration, and covers the departments of Arts, Science, Computer Science, Biotechnology, Social Sciences, Life Sciences, Language etc. along with doctorate and vocational programs smitten with best technical advancement and market-influenced curriculum.
Fergusson college has its own placement cell for guiding graduates and post-graduate students for job opportunities. The students of the college have been placed in some of the top notch companies. The average salary package of the students from the college has gone up significantly over the last few years.
Top Recruiting Companies
Students have been placed in companies like:
Rankings & Awards
- Ranked 9th in Arts category by India Today in 2008
- Ranked 7th in Science category as per The India Today-AC NELSEN-ORG-MARG Survey in the year 2008
- In 2004, Fergusson College was awarded an A grade by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- The College also received the Best College Award amongst the colleges affiliated to the University of Pune in the academic year 2004-2005
- Fergusson College has consistently been ranked amongst the top ten arts and science colleges in India for the past twelve years in the annual survey conducted by India Today-AC Nielsen-ORG-MARG and published in India Today
Fergusson college has an excellent hostel facility for both boys and girls
- There are in all 6 hostel blocks in total, 4 blocks for gents and 2 blocks for ladies
- The total intake capacity of the hostel is 587 students (427 boys and 160 girls)
- The gents hostel blocks are located to the north of the campus and the ladies hostel blocks lie to the east of the campus
- The College has some quarters for the teaching and the non teaching staff of the college and also for employees of other DES Institutes
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
Fergusson College provides following facilities to the students:
- Medical Facility
- Parking Facility
- Botanical garden
- Spacious playgrounds
- Ancient auditorium
- Literary activities
- Workshop assignments
- Commemoration Postage Stamp
- Fergzine Magazine - The magazine of the college
- Kimaya-College's open air theatre
- Outdoor and indoor game facility
Top Faculty of the college comprise of:
Dr. R. G. Pardeshi
Prof. N.M Kulkarni
Fergusson College was established in 1885 by Deccan Education Society. The name of the college was given in appreciation of the support of Sir James Fergusson, the then Governor of Bombay Province and also the first Patron of the DES. Fergusson College is affiliated to the University of Pune and accreditated with an A grade by NAAC. The College has a sprawling campus of 50 acres with numerous imposing buildings of mysterious architecture. The composition of population of students and teachers in Fergusson College emulates its truly national character. It has also attracted many students from abroad.
The mission of Fergusson College is to yearn and strive for excellence in education by developing and sharpening the intellectual and human potential of learners for the good of society.
After the formation of Deccan Education Society, several institutions have been created and been placed under the management of the Society with a view of imparting basic education. These educational institutions not only encompass schools and colleges, but also technical institutes and many autonomous institutes in the field of management, law, agricultural education and vocational training.
- Fergusson College
- Willingdon College
- Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce
- Kirti M Doongursee College
- Chintaman Rao College of Commerce
- DES Law College
- DES College of Physiotherapy
- DES College of Nursing
- New English school
- Navin Marathi Shala
- New English School, Satara
- Dravid High School
- Ahilyadevi High School for Girls
- New English School
- Nyayamurti Ranade Balak Mandir
- Hindustan Antibiotics School
- Navin Marathi Shala, Satara
- Balak Mandir, Satara
- Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilisers School
- DES Secondry school
- Madhav Sadashiv Golwalkal Guruji Vidyalaya
- DES Primary and Preprimary School
- Kantilal Purushottam Das Shah Prashala
- DES Primary School, Satara
- DES Preprimary School, Satara
- Technical Institute
- Institute of Management Development and Research
- Institute of Applied Research and Development in Agriculture
- Jagannath Rathi Vocational Guidance and Training Institute
- Institute of Management and Research
- Resolve (Information Technology and Robotics)
- Navinchandra Mehta Institute of Technology
Fergusson College gives following scholarships to its students:
- Chief Minister Scholarship
- Maharashtra Government Scholarship
- DG, NCC Scholarship
Clubs and Associations
National Cadet Corps(NCC):
The NCC organization was created in 1948, by an Act of Parliament, Govt. of India.
Aims of NCC:
- To develop the qualities of character, courage, comradeship, discipline, leadership, secular out look, spirit of adventure and sportsmanship
- To create a human resource of organized, trained and motivated youth, to provide leadership in all walks of life including Defence forces and be always available for the service of nation.
- To create suitable environment to motivate the youth to take up the career in the Defense services
Seats are reserved for NCC Cadets for admissions in Engineering, Poly technique and Medical Colleges:
Youth Exchange Program:
- Engineering College - 10 Seats
- Polytechnic College - 20 Seats
- Medical College - 3 Marks Bonus
Participation in international Youth Exchange Program held in various countries (Canada, UK, Singapore, Bangladesh, Sri lanka etc) National Service Scheme(NSS):
N.S.S Unit of Fergusson College was started in 1975 with about 50 students. Presently the N.S.S Unit consists of 200 students from senior college and 100 students from Junior college every year with about 50% participation of girl students. Activities of the N.S.S Unit:
Special Winter Camps:
- Meetings of NSS students are held every week on Sundays
- Poster competitions
- Debate competitions
- Blood donation camp
- Lectures / talks for students
- Tree plantation
- Cleanliness drives
- Street plays
Special winter camping program is held for ten days, every year. Common activities of the camp include:
- Tree Plantation
- Cleaning of drainage lines
- Repairs and construction of roads
- Cleaning of the area
- Slide shows
- Talks/ lectures
- Village Survey
- Cultural activities
- Blood Donation
- Nature watch
- Special activities
Following Departmental activities takes place at Fergusson College:
The department has started a new Post Graduate course, M. A. (Psychology) in this academic year. This is a non grant course.
The senior college teams were winners in the following inter collegiate events:
Lawn Tennis (Men)
Lawn Tennis (Women)
Sociology & Politics Departments:
In collaboration with the Women Study Center, University of Pune, organized an Undergraduate Certificate Course in Women and Development from July 2006 to Sept 2006. Sociology club was started this year to provide a platform for students to debate on issues of their choice. Work was distributed in four groups:
Working with NGOs.
Film screening in collaboration with CYDA.
Obersiving historically significant days like the Hiroshima Day.
Discussion forum and career guidance.
Electronics Science Department:
Teachers and students presented their research papers at National Symposium on Instrumentation at the Institute of Technology and Management, Gwalior from 12th to15th Oct. 2006.
Teachers and students presented their research papers at National Symposium on Instrumentation (NSI 30) at the Cochin University of Science and Technology Cochin.
Marathi and English Departments:
Jointly organized an interdisciplinary course on Literary History and theories for M. A. students.
National Service Scheme (NSS):
The annual NSS camp this year was held at Gawarewadi near Pune from 2nd Dec. to 11th Dec 2006. The theme this year was Healthy Youth for India. Activities such as Organic farming, Innovative teaching in schools were carried out in this camp. Socio-economic survy of the host village was also taken.
Disaster management workshop was also conducted for colleges in Pune under the NSS banner.
The college has launched different platforms to encourage activities in various fields beginning this year.
Was inaugurated by the Principal Dr. S. M. Chitale. He delivered a talk on Empowering Students. He discussed the need to make our student ready to face real life changes after completing the college education.
To promote the performing arts among the faculty as well as the students. Was inaugurated by a presentation of Light Indian Music by Mrs. Madhuri Jogalekar and Ms. Ankita Deole.
An interactive platform where renowned personalities in different fields will be sharing their views with faculty and students. Was inaugurated by Dr. Naresh Dadhich, Director, IUCCA, Pune. He spoke on the scientific method and the role of a scientist in society.
Association with Indian Politics
- Fergusson College has been recieved many epithets by political leaders
- The founders of Fergusson College, most notably Tilak and Gokhale were among the leaders of the Indian National Congress in its early stages from 1885 to 1920
- The college as its alumni has produced notable Congress leaders including:
- Vishwanath Pratap Singh
- PV Narasimha Rao
- Jivatram Kripalani
- Babubhai J Patel
Ex-Fergussonian Association (EFA) [Alumni Association]
- Ex-Fergussonian Association (EFA) is the Alumni Association, the organization for former students, faculty and staff collectively termed as alumni
- The Alumni Association provides a platform for alumni to maintain and develop their links with the College
- The Alumni Association promotes ongoing communication and cooperation among alumni, students, faculty and staff