Nirmala Niketan College of Home Science, Mumbai, was established so as to maintain a dignified standard of women in the educational premises, and that the women should carve out to be fully equipped to meet the challenges of household life profile. Affiliated from University of Mumbai, it offers education to Christian Women in precise and others too, notwithstanding of their class, creed and tint. Being a multi-faceted college, it offers a Bachelor degree in Home Science, along with Master degree and Master of Philosopher degree in Home Science along with Ph.D. & Research Programs in many specific quarters.
The collegwe has its own Employment Placement Cell. The objectives of the placement cell are to:
- Create a database of students seeking employment
- Liaise and build up contacts with different companies and industries
- Assist students to get employment and guide students aspiring to pursue higher studies.
As a part of recruitment, the Employment Placement Cell plays an active role in inviting various organisations to conduct campus interviews for the Third Year B.Sc students and the students completing their Masters programme. Majority of the interested candidates were successfully placed in topnotch companies of the nation.
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
This college has a state-of-the-art infrastructure with:
- Fully furnished classrooms
- Cyber cafe
- Well stocked library
- Textile and Clothing laboratory
- Food science laboratory
- Co-curricular/ Extracurricular activities
- Mrs. Mary Varghese
- Mrs. Rhonda Divecha
- Mrs. Pratima Goyal
- Dr. Soni Tilara
- Ms. Zainab Barbhaiwala
- Nirmala Niketan College of Home science was established in 1955.
- The institute is located in the heart of Mumbai city.
- This college stands for academic excellence whereby young women are equipped to meet successfully the challenges of family life as well as those from the professional world of a changing modern India.
- This college is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and offers education in Home Science to women irrespective of their caste, creed and colour.
- The curriculum of the college is revised from time to time to ensure imparting an excellent education to its students
Nirmala Niketan College of Home Science is managed by a Society that is registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and a Public Trust Act 1950 and all of those who are members of the congregation of the Daughters of the Heart of Mary in India.
Scholarships and Awards
A number of scholarships and awards are given on merit for students in need
- Founder Principal C. Galby Alumna Association Award
- Principal C. Galby Scholarship for textile students
- Watumal .Foundation Scholarship for B.Sc. student on merit
- Gauri Loknath Char Scholarship for needy /merit student
- Prof. Kothari Scholarship in Chemistry for Junior College students
- Braganza Scholarship for T.Y.B.Sc. and M.Sc. (Human Development) students preferably Catholic students
- Thresiamma Joseph Memorial Scholarship for T.Y.B.Sc./ M .Sc./ Nutrition students
- Saffola Scholarship for P.G. Dietetics students
- Mrs. Tilak Surana Memorial Scholarship for needy students
- Prof. L .R. Shah Scholarship for needy students
- Ms. Noemia DSouza Scholarship for M .Sc. || (Textile) student for the best research work of the academic year
- Dipti Patwardhan Memorial prize for our S.Y.B.Sc. student who get highest in clothing /food practicals
- Mrs. Maneck Camas Award to an ex-student for her entrepreneurship
The college provides various sopport services to its students through:
- Counselling Centre
- Diet Counselling Centre
- Womens Cell
- Grievance Cell