Stella Maris College is a women-centric Cathedral Educational Organization, which was incorporated on a very small scale in the independent year of 1947. This college enjoys autonomy since 1987, and has unison with University of Madras. The college functions under the administrative guidance of the Society of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, and provides both professional education and deserving faithful atmosphere. The college comprises of 13 UG and 10 PG programs in the fields of Arts, Commerce, Science, Computers, Language, Biotechnology, History & Tourism, Fine Arts, Psychology, Public Relations, Social Work and Biology. Several research programs such as M.Phil., Ph.D., and PGD courses comes under the academic syllabus itself.
- The College has a Career Guidance Cell formed by a branch of the Stella Maris Alumnae Association.
- This cell plays a major role in conducting various training programmes and campus recruitment for both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Different Career oriented training programmes are organized for final year students.
- In the second half of the academic year, the activities of the cell is focussed on:
- Organizing campus placement drives
- Career guidance programmes
- Orientation on options for higher education
Top Recruiting Companies
- TATA CAP
- Leverage and many more....
Rankings & Awards
- Ranked 10th in Arts category as per The India Today-AC Nelsen-Org-Marg in the year 2008.
- Ranked 10th In Commerce category as per The India Today-AC Nelsen-Org-Marg in the year 2008
The college has four different hostels for girls namely:
The facilities provided are:
- Ladys Hostel
- St. Josephs Hostel
- Nava Nirmana
- Mother Klemens
- Furnished rooms
- Recreation centre
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
- Furnished classrooms
- Well sockedlibrary
- Computer Lab
- Cooperative store
- DTP centre
- Banking services
- Councelling Centre
- Remedial coaching
- Dr. Sr. Jasintha Quadras (Principal M.Sc., M.Phil., M.S., Ph.D.)
- Dr. (Ms.) Geetha Swaminathan (Vice-Principal M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.)
- Dr. (Ms.) Agnes Fernando-(M.A., (English), M.A., (French), M.Phil, PhD - Vice-Principal
- M.A., (English), M.A., (French), M.Phil, Ph.D.)
- Ms. Chandunissa Begum (Academic Dean M.A., M.Phil.MS.)
- Stella Maris College, a Catholic institution of higher education for women was established on 15th august 1947.
- Stella Maris College is under the direction of the Society of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary and is a minority institution that provides university education in a Christian atmosphere for deserving students, especially those belonging to the Catholic community.
- Beginning in a small one-storey building with an enrolment of 32 students, Stella Maris College has at present over 3000 students housed in large buildings on the beautiful campus of "The Cloisters", Cathedral Road, Chennai.
Every graduate of Stella Maris College is encouraged to become a member of the Alumnae Association. The members meet periodically. Alumnae now overseas or in distant parts of India keep in touch with their Alma Mater through letters, which are always welcome. News of our alumnae all over the world is given each year in the College Magazine/News letter.
Objectives of the Alumnae Association
- To foster fellowship among Alumnae and continued contact with their Alma Mater.
- To facilitate creative involvement in the progress and activities of the College.
- To encourage joint endeavour in the building of the community and society
The Career Guidance Cell in Stella Maris College is entirely administered by the Alumnae of the College. It is dedicated to providing comprehensive, quality career development and employment programmes. These resources enhance the diverse student community to successfully meet the demands and challenges of a career.