- Pioneers in Western India for B.Tech, M.Tech and PhD program in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
- Excellent Curriculum
- Superior Lab infrastructure and hands-on training of students
- Good student teacher ratio
- Projects in collaboration with various National laboratories and Industry
- Excellent student placement activities
- Outstanding Alumni group
- Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics has an active Training and Placement Cell devoted to administering campus interviews for the recruitment of students for Biotechnology, Bioinformatics and Life Science companies.
- Training and Placement wing offers counseling and guidance to students for their successful career placement.
- It also matches various activities for industrial training of students.
- The reputed national companies which recruit our students include industries from agri-biotech, biotechnology, bioinformatics, pharmaceutical and biomedical Engineering.
- The Department also leads students for successful admission to Ivy league universities in the US and other top ranked universities globally.
Top Recruiting Companies
- Abdos Labware (P) Ltd., Kolkatta
- Accelyrs Ltd., Bangalore
- Accurex Biomedicals (P) Ltd., Mumbai
- Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer, (ACTREC), Navi Mumbai
- Aggape Diagnostics Ltd., Mumbai
- Ajanta Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Mumbai
- Allerin Technologies (P) Ltd., Navi Mumbai
- Alkem Laboratories Ltd., Navi Mumbai
- Asia CRYO-CELL (Life Cell) Private Limited, Chennai
- Aurigene Discovery Technologies Ltd., Bangalore
- Bayer Crop Sciences Ltd., Mumbai
- Bharat Serums and Vaccines Ltd., Thane
- Biocon Ltd., Bangalore
- Biogenuix Ltd., New Delhi
- Cactus Communications Ltd., Mumbai
- Cell Works Ltd., Bangalore
- Cell Bios Healthcare and Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd., Chennai.
- Chiron Panacea Vaccines (P) Ltd., Mumbai
- Cipla Ltd., Mumbai, and Goa
- Cognizant Technologies Ltd., Mumbai
- C.P.C. Diagnostics Ltd., Chennai
- Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Mumbai
- G - Biosciences Pvt. Ltd., Noida
- GeneOmBio Technologies Ltd., Pune
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Navi Mumbai
- Hi - Media Labs Ltd., Mumbai
- IB Scientific (P) Ltd., Navi Mumbai
- Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkatta
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Inga Laboratories Ltd., Mumbai
- Thrombosis Research Institute, Bangalore
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Andheri (W), Mumbai
- Lab India Instruments Ltd., Thane
- Lilac Medicare Ltd., Mumbai
- Lupin Pharma Ltd., Tarapur and Pune
- National Institute for Reproductive Research and Health (NIRRH)
- National Institute of Virology, Pune
- Naval Materials Research Laboratory, Ambernath
- Next Services HSS (P) Ltd., Mumbai
- Piramal Diagnostic Services India Ltd., Mumbai
- Piramal Life Sciences Ltd., Mumbai
- Premier Biosoft (P) Ltd., Indore
- Ocimum Biosolutions Ltd., Hyderabad
- P. D. Hinduja Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai
- Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd., New Delhi and Dewas, M.P
- Reliance Life Sciences Pvt. Ltd., Navi Mumbai
- Scube Scientific Software Ltd., New Delhi
- Serum Institute India Ltd., Pune
- SRL Religare Ltd., Mumbai
- Sun Pharma Ltd., Baroda
- Synergy Diagnostics (P) Ltd., Mumbai
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., Mumbai
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- The Centre for Genomic Application, New Delhi
- Transasia Biomedicals Ltd., Mumbai
- Intas Biopharmaceuticals Ltd.,Ahmedabad
- Jubiliant Biosys Ltd., Bangalore
- Knowledge Works Global Ltd., Mumbai
- Thyrocare Technologies Ltd., Navi Mumbai
- U.S.V. Ltd., Mumbai
and many more...
Rankings & Awards
NAAC Accreditation Award
- Padmashree Dr. D.Y.Patil University has been accredited by NAAC with CGPA of 3.35 on a four point scale at A Grade.
- The Vice Chancellor Prof. (Dr.) James Thomas received the Award at the hands of Prof. Ved Prakash, Vice Chairman, UGC in the presence of Dr. Ranganathan, Director, NAAC, Bangalore and Prof. Govardhan Mehta, Chairman, NAAC.
- Hostel facility is available at the University campus in Nerul.
- For more information, please contact the administrative section of the Department.
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
Central Instrumentation Laboratory
- The Department hosts twelve well equipped and well maintained laboratories for carrying out research work as well as routine practical.
- Departmental Biosafety Committee ensures the safety of students and researchers according to the guidelines provided by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India.
- The Department has established Central Instrumentation Laboratory to facilitate research as well as routine practical.
- The laboratory harbors state of art indigenous and imported analytical instruments like
Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory :-
- Sorval C90 Ultra Centrifuge: Used for the Isolation of sub cellular organelles and macro molecules
- Waters Gradient High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC): Used for analysis of Anti oxidants and anti microbial molecules from plant extracts
- Chemito Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS): Used for estimation of heavy metals from water bodies and industrial effluents
- Chemito Gas Chromatography (GC): Used for quantification of pesticide residues from fruits, vegetables, grains and processed food products
- Super Hit Rotary Vacuum Digital Bath: Used for concentrating bio active compounds from various plant extracts
- Bio-Rad Microplate reader: Used for cell proliferation studies and immunological assays like ELISA
- UV Visible Spectrophotometer: Used for various biochemical assays such as quantification of macromolecules
- Bio-Rad Biological Duo Flow System: Used to separate and purify protein and other polymers from complex systems
- Promega DNA/RNA/Protein Isolation System: Used DNA/RNA isolation and protein extraction and purification
- Syngene Gel Documentation Unit: Used for documentation and analysis of protein and nucleic acid gels Therrmocycler: Used for the amplification of gene
- Other equipments in the central Instrumentation facility includes: Microprocessor based Cold Chamber, Deep Freezer (-60o C, -20 o C), Laminar Flow, Ultra filtration unit etc.
Animal Tissue Culture Laboratory :-
- The Department houses a well established plant tissue culture laboratory. The lab facilities include horizontal laminar flow for explants inoculation and controlled photoperiod and incubation room for culturing plant tissues.
- The lab is engaged in research on the conservation of endangered plants from Western Ghats, DNA barcoding and phytoremediation of textile dyes
Bioinformatics Laboratory :-
- Animal tissue culture lab is a complete setup for routine culture and maintenance of normal and transformed cell lines.
- Culture work is carried out in type II Biosafety cabinets with provision for incubation in CO2 atmosphere.
- Monitoring of cell growth and morphology is carried out regularly using inverted microscope.
- The lab also has facilities for long term preservation of cell lines and other biological samples in liquid nitrogen (cryopreservation).
- The lab is engaged in the establishment of human keratinocyte culture for transplantation to burn patients at Dr. D. Y. Patil Hospital and Research center, Nerul.
- Work is also underway on the role of antioxidants in ameliorating the toxicity of anticancer drugs.
- The lab also maintains an independent research unit for doctoral students that houses a benchtop bioreactor for scale up studies
Bioinformatics Infrastructure :-
- SGI Workstation - The department is one of the pioneers in India with SGI Onyx and fuel systems which are used for carrying out studies at molecular level
The computer laboratory
- The department has a large collection of Bioinformatics software packages, like Accelrys Discovery studio, CLC Bio, AutoDock, SPSS, Matlab, Hex, ArgusLab, Dock6, to name a few, which are extensively used in research, training students and analyzing biological data
Biomedical Engineering Laboratory :-
- It has more than 150 Pentium Core-2 Duo processors capable of handling advanced bioinformatics software and molecular graphics in silicon biology. The computer laboratory also has IBM Microsoft Windows NT Servers.
- The computational infrastructure with Internet connectivity is available to the students from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm on all days (except holidays) throughout the week
Lecture hall :-
- The Biomedical Engineering laboratory includes facilities for biomedical measurements and recording systems, microprocessor and therapeutic equipments.
- There are also laboratories for electric and electronic circuits, logic circuits, analog integrated circuits, human anatomy studies, biochemistry and computer programming
Conference room :-
- There are 14 well illuminated and ventilated lecture halls each with a seating capacity of 60.
- The halls are well equipped with electronic display devices like Over Head Projector and Compact Mobile projectors to give students for an interactive and comprehensive learning experience.
- The sessions are made lively with E-Learning through Wi-Fi connectivity
- For regular meetings, discussions, sketching of plans and decision making procedures the Department have two well designed conference rooms equipped with videoconferencing facilities
- The Library is spacious and well stocked with over 5800 books and subscribes to 17 National and 9 International Journals apart from the ProQuest online full text journal database.
- Information on titles can be accessed through SLIM21 Library Information Management System.
- In addition to the departmental library, the students have access to the University Central Library at Nerul campus
Sports facility & Gymnasium :-
- The Department has an air-conditioned mini auditorium with a seating capacity of 150 for conducting guest lectures, conferences, seminars and cultural activities. The major cultural festivals and academic activities are conducted at the impressively equipped University Auditorium at Nerul campus with a seating capacity of 750
- For the all-round development of the students the department provides necessary facilities for Cricket, Football, Badminton, Volleyball, Lawn tennis, Swimming, Squash, Throw ball, Basket ball, Kabaddi, Kho-kho apart from the indoor games like Table tennis, Chess, Carrom etc.
- Apart from playing a vital role in organizing and participating in Olympia- the intra University tournament, the students also participate at various State and National level tournaments.
- The department has a well equipped Gymnasium with a certified trainer.
- The department takes pride in its association with D Y Patil Sports Academy which has the world class sports stadium with a seating capacity of 65000
|Sr No ||Name of Faculty ||Designation ||Qualification ||Area of Specialization ||Years of Experience |
|1 ||Dr. Debjani Dasgupta ||Professor & Head ||Ph.D, BARC Post doc fellow Univ. of Kansas, USA ||Biochemistry ||27 |
| 2 ||Dr. Jayashree Nadakarni ||Adjunct Professor ||Ph.D, Tata Cancer Research Institute Post doc fellow- Karolinska, Sweden, ||Molecular Medicine |
| 3 ||Dr. Thankamani Marar ||Professor ||Ph.D. Madras University ||Biochemistry ||15 |
| 4 ||Dr. Neetin Shivajirao Desai ||Professor ||Ph.D., Shivaji Univ. Post doc fellow, BARC ||Plant Biotechnology ||14 |
|5 ||Dr. Sunita Singh ||Associate Professor ||Ph. D. ||Microbiology ||10 |
| 6 ||Dr. Liji Thayyil ||Associate Professor ||Ph. D. ||Biochemistry |
|7 ||Mr. Selvaa Kumar C. ||Assistant Professor ||M. Sc. (Zoology) |
M. Sc. (Bioinformatics)
|Molecular Dynamics |
& Drug Designing
|8 ||Mr. Bontha Venkata Ravi Shankar ||Placement & Training Officer ||M.Sc (UK), B.E,.M. D. B. A ||Biochemical Engineering ||14 |
| 9 ||Dr. Namdev P. Jagtap ||Assistant Professor ||Ph. D || Statistics ||13 |
| 10 ||Dr. Deepa Garg ||Assistant Professor ||Ph. D. ||Medical Biochemistry ||11 |
| 11 ||Dr. Arpita Gupte ||Assistant Professor || Ph.D. ||Biochemistry -Enzyme |
| 12 ||Dr. Jyoti Tope ||Assistant Professor ||Ph. D. ||Zoology ||9 |
| 13 ||Mr. Naveen Padmadas ||Assistant Professor ||M. Sc.,PGPBM ||Phylogenetic Analysis ||9 |
| 14 ||Dr. Madhusudan Prabhakar Samant ||Assistant Professor ||Ph.D. ||Fisheries Science ||9 |
| 15 ||Dr. Jagdish Shivaraman Nair ||Assistant Professor ||Ph.D. ||Protein Chemistry -Enzymology ||8 |
| 16 ||Dr. Madhavi R. Vernekar ||Assistant Professor ||M.Tech. Ph.D ||Bioprocess Technology ||7 |
| 17 ||Dr. Neelu Joshi ||Assistant Professor ||Ph.D. ||Plant Tissue Culture ||7 |
| 18 ||Ms. Smitha Annie Mathew ||Academic Coordinator ||M.Sc. ||Biochemistry ||7 |
| 19 ||Mr. Somnath Tagore ||Assistant Professor ||M.Sc M.Tech |
| 20 ||Dr. Mugdha Harmalkar ||Assistant Professor ||M.Sc. Ph.D. ||Cancer Biology ||5 |
| 21 ||Dr. Vibha Gajbe ||Assistant Professor ||Ph. D. ||Industrial Chemistry / |
| 22 ||Dr. V.V.N. Ravi Kishore ||Assistant Professor ||Ph. D. ||Physical Chemistry ||3 |
- The Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, a component of Padmashree Dr. D. Y. Patil University was established in June 2003, with a vision to develop quality minds capable of strengthening and broadening the base of Biotechnology in the nation.
- The Department is a conspicuous and impressive 12-storeyed landmark structure sprawling a built up area of 64,000 sq. feet situated in Sector 15, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai.
- The Department houses 12 state of the art laboratories and 14 lecture halls amplifies with sophisticated audio-visual aids.
- The Department is headed by Prof. Debjani Dasgupta (Former Head, Department of Biochemistry, The Institute of Science, Mumbai).
- She brings with her a vast and rich experience stretches over more than 3 decades in academics and research.
- The Department owns more than 50 highly qualified faculties who endeavor to impart world class education to students
The Department offers a collaborative B.Sc (Hons) degree in Biomedical Sciences with University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UnitedKingdom.