Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, an offshoot of Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana was first established at Hissar in 1962 where the College of Veterinary Science already existed since 1948. Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University was set up on 9th August, 2005 at Ludhiana to serve the society by pro
Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, an offshoot of Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana was first established at Hissar in 1962 where the College of Veterinary Science already existed since 1948. Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University was set up on 9th August, 2005 at Ludhiana to serve the society by promoting the livestock production, health and prevention of diseases through integrated teaching and extension programmes. The College of Veterinary Science is a daughter institution of Veterinary School established in 1862 at Poona with one year course which was later upgraded as the first Veterinary College at Lahore in 1882. A part of the Lahore Veterinary College was shifted to Hisar in 1948 after partition. Later the College of Veterinary Medicine was set up in 1969 as constituent college of Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana. now this college is a part of Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Ludhiana. The College was created to be a centre of regional, national and international excellence in research and learning in animal health and production. It caters to the needs of Punjab by carrying out teaching, research and extension education programmes pertaining to livestock production and health problems and has been instrumental in ushering in an era of White Revolution in the State. The college has highly competent and experienced faculty members who have made significant contributions in research on animal health and production and won various national and international awards. The minimum Standards of Veterinary Education Degree Course (B.V.Sc. & A.H.) Regulations, 1993 of Veterinary Council of India have been implemented in the College and accordingly, for B.V.Sc. & A.H. 5-year programme external examination system has been introduced from the batch admitted in 1998 and onwards. The college is recognized by the Veterinary Council of India and has obtained accreditation from the Indian Council of Agricultural Research in the year 2004. This is the only veterinary college in India having two ICAR Centres of Advance Study, viz. Department of Veterinary Surgery & Radiology and Department of Animal Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics. This college has 18 departments having excellent laboratory facilities and adequate infrastructure for the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research, a well equipped veterinary teaching hospital to cater the demands of large and small animal health care. In addition, the college also has an elite dairy herd and poultry farm which provide adequate facilities for teaching and research.