Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA) , is the most sought after public business school of India. It was established on 16 December 1961 as an initiative to channelize the efforts that were being made to make India an industrially sound fledgling nation. It was the second Indian Institute of Management (IIM) to be established, after IIM Calcutta. It is consistently ranked as one of the best business schools in India and in the Asia-Pacific region.
- IIMA is a result of Public Private Partnership between the Central and State governments, Industrialists, Ford Foundation, Harvard Business School and Group of able educationists led by Dr. Vikram Sarabhai.
- IIMA is managed by the IIMA society thus keeping it free from the control of government.
- IIMA has received accreditation from European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) thus certifying that it programs are on par with other global business schools.
- IIMA offers a number of vivid management programs tending to the varying needs of industries.
- IIMA has around 800 full time students & 1500 executives enrolled in courses every year. Students are in constant interaction with some eminent faculty members (total 84), all with Ph.D
- Institute also provides Student Exchange Programme with over 45 institutions in 26 countries including USA, France, UK, China and Sweden
Alumni: IIMA’s Alumni have created, joined & transformed a wide range of organisations in diverse fields. Few of the distinguished ones include:
- K V Kamath, made the renowned ICICI bank the biggest private sector bank in India
- Deep Kalra, founder & CEO of MakeMyTrip
- Pradeep Chintagunta, Professor Stanford University, USA
Academic Overview: IIMA is world renowned for its academic excellence. The primary learning tool at IIMA is case methodology which is further supplemented by group projects, seminars, lectures, simulation games, role-plays and industrial visits. Alongwith its academic programs it also offers research in various management field. The institute has made its mark in research area. It has following research centres-
- Centre for e-Governance (CEG)
- Centre for Gender Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity (GEDI)
- Centre for Infrastructure Policy and Regulation (CIPR)
- Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE)
- Centre for Management in Agriculture (CMA)
- Centre for Management Health Services (CMHS)
- Centre for Retailing (CFR)
- IIMA- Idea Telecom Centre of Excellence (IITCE)
- Ravi J. Matthai Centre for Educational Innovation (RJMCEI)
Facilities at IIMA:
- There are six amphitheater classrooms & five seminar rooms in the teaching wings followed by conference rooms in the faculty wings.
- There are sixty-five revolving seats with each seat carrying the student’s name tag and network connectivity to facilitate presentations.
- There are 25 student dormitories with capacity to hold 740 occupants.
- There is separate housing facility for married students
Vikram Sarabhai Library spread over an area of 20,120 sq. ft. is an in valuable source of knowledge supplementing researches and projects.
- Library has an exhaustive collection of over 1, 80,500 books, and 42,004 bound volumes.
- Library has subscription to around 226 print journals and 945 online journals.
- Library also has around 2203 CDs and 132 videos.
- Apart from this library is a house to national dailies, working papers, student project reports and thesis.
- The library is open 24*7 with a 3i (Information, Infrastructure for Institution) network to provide business, industry, environment, agricultural and economic information to the users
- IIMA has a state of art computer network with over 2000 computer nodes.
- 90 network switches handles internal data traffic.All buildings are connected to each by fibre optic network supported by 30 high speed servers.
IIMA has a fitness center spread over an area of 1740 sq. ft. complete with modern fitness and body building equipment’s.
Students Personal and Career Development Center (SPCDC)- SPCDC offers psychological and psychotherapeutic services to students, faculty and staff for personal, social and professional exploration
Festivals: The most noteworthy festivals and events managed by IIMA students include-
Annual marketing fair targeted at the general public in Ahmedabad
The biggest and most prestigious B-school summit in the country hosted by IIMA annually
IIMA’s annual inter-institute cultural festival
Organized annually by the Institute’s Fellow (doctoral) Program students primarily for researchers in business schools
An annual event staged by PGPX students to promote interaction between industry and academia
T-nite (Talent Nite)
Small scale, not open to general public but one of the most eagerly awaited events
Sports, literature and cultural festival
Annual Food festival
The Financial Times
Scholarship: The institute endeavours to help the deserving candidates to pursue management studies. The following are few scholarship schemes currently offered by the institute-
- Family Income Linked Tuition Fee Waiver Scheme
- IIMA Special Scholarships (need-based)
- Industry Scholarships (need-based)
- ONGC SC/ST Merit cum Means Scholarships
- SC/ST Scholarships
- Aditya Birla Group Scholarships
- OP Jindal Engineering and Management Scholarship
- Ocwen Scholarship for Competence in Academics
- Other Scholarships facilitated by the IIMA include scholarships awarded by various State governments to students from their states.
Awards: The institute offers the following awards and honours to recognize the efforts of students as well as staff-
- The Kollengode V. Srinivas Award
- The S. Umapathy Prize
- The S. K. Seth Memorial Award
- The Academic Merit Award
- IFCI and Chaudhary-Padmanabhan-Pant Award
- Travel Awards.
- Comp Labs