SRM (Sri Ramaswamy Memorial University) Institute of Science and Technology is a co-educational private university founded in 1985 as SRM Engineering College. The institute gained deemed status in 2002 & was renamed to SRM Institute of Science and Technology. It turned into SRM University in 2006, when it achieved the status of a fully-developed university, under section 3 of the UGC Act 1956.
- SRM is accredited by NAAC with 'A' Grade in the year 2013.
- SRM University is one of the high ranker universities in India having 38000 students & 2600 faculty across all the campuses.
- It offers a varied series of undergraduate, postgraduate & doctoral courses in Management, Engineering, Medicine & Health sciences, and Science & Humanities.
- It has 4 campuses in Tamil Nadu, Kattankulathur, Ramapuram, Vadapalani and Tiruchirapalli and 1 in Modinagar, near Delhi.
- The main campus is located at SRM Nagar, Kattankulathur, Kancheepuram District, Tamil Nadu.
Over 600 acres replete with a variety of facilities, State-of-the-art labs, libraries, Wi-Fi, knowledge centre, 4000 capacity AC auditorium, 100 online smart classrooms, Hostels with premium facilities, endless convenience on campus including ATM's, bookstores, dining options, cafeterias, prayer halls, gym and more.
SRM is committed to creation of knowledge through research across all academic disciplines. Focus areas include Nanotechnology, Bio engineering, Information, Energy, Environment, Materials and Embedded systems. Research is of 2 categories in SRM Institute of Science and technology.
- Academic Research
- Funded Research
- The University has many research centers such as
- Centre for Environmental Nuclear Research (CENR)
- Nanotechnology Research Center
- SRM/STRATUS Centre for Medical Simulation
- An Interdisciplinary School of Indian System of Medicine (ISISM)
Top salary US $200,000 offered to NANO Researcher Mr. Shivaraman at California, USA. Nearly 100% placement of registered students: TCS, Wipro, Cognizant, Infosys, Siemens, and others.
The school endeavors to enhance the skills & creativity of students by indulging them in various co-curricular activities. Cultural events are organized numerous times throughout the year to boost creative hunts & foster talent.
Some of the clubs are:-
- Webarch Club: The Webarch club in the University is essentially for developing website for several cultural & technical fests that are held at SRM University.
- Arts and Culture Club: This club organizes various cultural events throughout the year to boost creative youth.
The University has a community service which encourages students to vigorously take part in the voluminous social initiatives such as:-
- Annsh: A school for children of construction workers & school dropouts.
- Butterflies project: Poor & needy children from 25 govt. and private schools near to SRM University are invited on particular days & literary , sports & cultural events are organized to cultivate their flairs.
- NSS and NCC groups also actively participate in social activities.
(1) Fee waiver of 50% to students with above 95% in CBSE or in State Board examinations.
(2) Founder's Scholarship-full waiver on tuition, books, hostels and mess, plus stipend of Rs.1,000 per month to top state, SRMEEE, JEE and AIEEE rankers, sports persons and socio-economic disdained.
The institution provides scholarships to students on merit as well as need basis. In 2011 – 12, nearly 1500 students benefited from various schemes with a total of Rs. 12.27 crores distributed as scholarship.
- Merit Scholarship: Fee waiver of 50% to students with above 95% in CBSE or in State Board examinations.
- Founder's Scholarship: Full waiver on books, tuition, hostels & mess, plus stipend of Rs.1, 000 per month to top state, JEE, SRMEEE & AIEEE rankers, sports persons and socio-economic disdained.
- Merit-cum-means Scholarship: 25% to 100% tuition fee waiver is provided to students who are economically challenged based on their performance in the qualifying examination.
- Scholarships for special merits: Scholarship with tuition fee waivered up to 100% is offered to some of the students owning exemplary skills in literary debating, fine arts and others.
The university conducts many festivals every year to help its students to understand the cultural and other values. The participation supports students in enhancing their understanding different values and personality development. Some of its festivals are:-
- Aaruush: The National Level Techfest which is conducted every year.
- Milan - The Cultural Fest: The annual four-day cultural extravaganza. It's a convergence of ideas, a perfect assortment of the skills, arts & the passion to accomplish.
- Tarana: The SRM Talent Fest: Tarana organizes once a year & it's the perfect chance for all the artistic students from all institutions to participate & showcase their creative talent.
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai is ranked no: 1 among the private institutes in India by Times Engineering Survey.
SRM is ranked India's No.1 by India Today(Factual Ranking 2013) .
Deccan Chronicle ranking has placed SRM as No: 1 private university.
DNA - ZEE news survey ranked SRM Engineering India's Top 15, joining the league of IIT's and NIT's.
SRM University stood high in The Education Times (The Times of India) - GfK Mode survey:-
- SRM University ranked India's No.1 Multiple Stream University (Engineering & Medicine)
- SRM Engineering ranked India's No.1 Private Engineering University and in India's Top 8 including the aided universities, joining the league of IITs & NITs
- SRM Medicine ranked India's No.3 in private universities and India's Top No. 8 including aided universities., joining the league of AIIMS & CMC
- SRM University ranked India's No. 1 university.
- The Computer Science Engineering Department was rated No. 1 for excellence, while five other departments were graded within the top 5 in Tamil Nadu.
Hostel For : Male
There are 14 blocks allotted for Men of capacity varying from 200 to 1000 students in each block. The total capacity for Men’s hostel is about 7500.
- Comp Labs