National institute of technology popular known as NIT, was started as a joint venture of the Govt. of India & Tamil Nadu in 1964 & focused to the demands of man power in the field of technology.
- In 2003, got approval from UGC/AICTE and Govt. of India
- Provides the platform for bringing together the alumni of RECT/NITT
- NIT has total campus area is about 800 acres
- The institute accommodate 3560 Undergraduate &postgraduate student
- Well-experienced & dedicated faculty not only serves education teachers but also act as a mentor and a good guider for the students of NIT
- Offering under graduate courses in its 10 branches & post graduate courses in 22 disciplines of science, engineering & technology besides Ph.D. in all departments
- This institute also fulfills its commitment through Campus Placement Programs. Every year near about 125 to 150 reputed companies visit the campus
The institute has signed MOUs with many industries and institutions like with BHEL, IBM, HP which provides a very good opportunities to the young researchers.
BHEL also offers scholarships for such researchers who are pursuing Ph.D. and MS
Signed MOUs with NIMS, Japan for the collaborative research in the field of nanotechnology.
Some of the renowned alumni of the institute who are working in different parts of country & overseas:
- K. R. Sridhar,is the founder and CEO of Bloom Energy
- NatarajanChandrasekaran, is an Indian business executive who is the CEO & managing director of Tata Consultancy Services.
- T. V. Narendran, is an Indian business executive. He is currently the Managing Director of Tata Steel (India and South East Asia)
Research & Development Sponsored Projects
- Career Award for Young Teachers (E.E.E)
- “Process modeling and online monitoring of laser beam welding”(M.E)
- “Non-linear soil structure interaction of piles on sloping ground” (C.E)
- “Optimization Techniques for the FGPA implementation of high speed digital communication blocks for software defined radio” (E.C.E)
Over 160 companies participate in the placements annually.
In 2014, the average package was above Rs.4.75 lacs &the highest being $125,000 per annum.
Top Recruiters of the institute are Wipro, Yahoo, HP & Cognizant
Given Below are the placement statistics:
3 of the institute's official annual events are:
- Pragyan- Technical festival
- Festember- Cultural festival
- NITTFEST-Inter Departmental Cultural Festival
The institute provides accommodation facility to their students.
- There are 18 boys and 5 girls’ hostel
- Accommodate level is up to 5320 Undergraduate & Postgraduate students.
- It provides hygienic food & proper place for recreation
- Having indoor games also like table tennis, carom
- 2 dot telephones, intercoms, aqua guard, water coolers & kit for indoor &outdoor games.
- 8 messes for boys & 1 for girls
Modern & a big library with more than 1 lakh documents. It contains
- 16,7500 books in the Book Bank
- Departmental Libraries
- CD-ROM Workstation
- Audio Visual section
The institute not only credited by academics but also gain credit in sports through National Sports Organization.
The Sports centre offers the facilities required to train and evaluate the students.
It also contains a multi-station gym & swimming pool which are used up by faculty & students.
Outdoor stadium comprises of
- 2 football grounds
- 1 hockey field
- 2 volleyball courts
- 2 basketball courts
- 3 tennis courts &
- 2 ball badminton court
The computer centre is called Octagon. There is LAN system which associates with 4000 users across the campus.
It also acts as a resource centre to supplement classroom instructions with Lab sessions.
- Awarded with the “managerial excellence award” in the educational institutions category by madras management association in 2013
- Consistently ranked in A++ category by B schools list by business India
- “Best specialization award-information technology” in Indian B School awards by discovery education media private limited in 2013
Top Engineering colleges
Top Engineering colleges
Outstanding B school in south India
The institute is offering many scholarships to the students which are sanctioned by various state governments. Some of them are:
- Silver 72 Trust Scholarships (Merit / need-based scholarship)
- Sri J Ramakrishnan Memorial Scholarship
- Scholarship for students with disabilities
- Comp Labs