Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur is one of the best institutes in India to study engineering and other science related disciplines. It is very old and experienced and has been on a roll since its inception. It has history enshrined and engraved on its very walls. IIT Kharagpur is providing with the best of facilities, not to mention its technical education. It is one of the best among the IITs and also enjoys a very good rank and status.
- This part of IIT was started in the year of 1951
- In the year 1946, the Hon'ble Sir Jogendra Singh, a Member of the Viceroy's Executive Council, in the Department of Education, Health and Agriculture came up with a committee that would look after the offering of Higher Technical Institutions for the aftermath of the war in the post industrial growth in the country.
- The committee had 22 members and was led by Sri N.R. Sarkar. The report suggested the setting up of four Higher Technical Institutions in all the regions (East, West, North and South).
- The establishment of those fantastic four was on the tunes of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA.
- The very first IIT came in the month of May, 1950. The formal inauguration was done by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
Academics: There are many departments, centers of excellence and schools in IIT – Kharagpur. These departments and schools are providing with top quality education and teaching-
The names of some departments are as follows:
- Civil Engineering Mining Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Agricultural and Food Engineering
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture etc.
There are various Institute Centers. They are as follows:
- Materials Science
- Cryogenic Engineering
- Reliability Engineering Centre
- Centre for Educational Technology
- Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences etc.
The Institute Schools are listed below:
- Information Technology
- School of Water Resources
- Medical Science and Technology
- Vinod Gupta School of Management
- G S Sanyal School of Telecommunications
- Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law
- Ranbir and Chitra Gupta School of Infrastructure Design and Management.
Short Term Programs: Besides its regular courses IITKGP also provides some short term programs-
- Training Program for Engineers - Cryogenic Air Separation
- Training Program for Engineers - Safe Design and Operation of Oxygen Systems
- High Performance Parallel and Enterprise Computing
- Executive Development Program on Effective Leadership and Teamwork
- Short Term Course on Optical and Wireless Networks (OWN)
- Short Term Course on Wireless Communication and Networks
Extracurricular: IIT-KGP has a number of clubs on campus to cater to the students’ desire for a break from studies. Students can be a member of multiple clubs, depending on their area of interested. Some of the clubs are-
- Technology Dramatics Club
- Quiz Club
- Easter Technology Music Society
- Spectra- for strengthening the foothold of fine arts in the campus
- DebSoc- The debate club
- Communique- A club meant to improve the soft skills of IIT-KGP students. etc
Facilities: IIT KGP provides best infrastructural facilities to the students. some of them are mentioned below-
20 halls of residence are provided for students
Guest houses are also facilitated for the guardians & parents of students.
Each hostel has a specific name. Some halls of IIT Kharagpur are-
- Ashutosh Mukherjee Hall
- Azad Hall
- Bidhan Chandra Roy Hall
- Gokhale Hall
Hi-tech library having-
- 3, 00, 000 volumes
- 1400 periodicals
- 300 print journals
Quality Improvement Programmes (Q.I.P) has been funded by the AICTE and it is providing scope for the teachers to perk up their qualification by attaining higher degrees of education (M. Tech and PH. D)
There are two extension centers (Calcutta Extension Centre & Bhubaneswar Extension Centre) that are providing with facilities for various educational programmes and some courses related to distance learning.
There are facilities to play sports like cricket, hockey, football, lawn tennis, volleyball, athletics, badminton etc.
- Kshitij- The annual management & technical fest of IIT-KGP, it has over 40 events in which students can participate.
- Spring Fest- Held in the month of January, it is the cultural fest of IIT Kharagpur. It sees participation from a large number of students all over India
- Merit-cum-means scholarship of Rs.1000/- p.m. & a tuition fee waiver is awarded to 25% of students admitted under B.Tech, B.Arch, Integrated M.Sc. and 2 year M.Sc program
- Assistantship of Rs.10000/- per month to MMST students
- Students admitted to Dual Degree program are provided scholarships at par with B.Tech. students upto 4th year and at par with M.Tech in their 5th year.
- Comp Labs