IIT Delhi is a public research university and one of the finest institute of technology in India.The government of India negotiated with British government for collaboration in setting up an IIT in Delhi after first IIT was established in Kharagpur in 1950.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburg laid the foundation stone of the college on January 28, 1959 and it was registered as College of Engineering and Technology in 1960 and was formally inaugurated by Prof Humayun Kabir, Minister of Scientific Research on August 17, 1961
- The college of Engineering and Technology was declared Institute of National Importance and renamed to IIT Delhi by an act in 1963
- 325 acre campus of IITD is located in Hauz Khas, South Delhi and is well connected by public transport. It is just 10 km fron Delhi airport and 14 km from New Delhi railway station
- There are residential zones for students, faculty and staff and academic zone, student activity center, sports stadiums insise IITD campus
- IITD conducts various programs including undergraduate, post graduate and Phd programs. Admissions are taken through entrance exams – JEE, GATE and JAM
- The academic year is organized in semesters, two semesters in a year. IITD follows a 10 point CGPA scale in examinations.
Centres at IIT Delhi: There are 11 multi disciplanary centers. These inter disciplanary centers offers courses only at the postgraduate level. Some of these centers are-
- Centre for Polymer Science and Engineering (CPSE)
- Centre for Applied Research in Electronics (CARE)
- Centre for Atmospheric Sciences (CAS
- Centre for Energy Studies (CES)
- Centre for Rural Development and Technology (CRDT)
Schools at IIT Delhi: IITD has 3 schools of excellence which are-
- Bharti School of Telecommunication Technology and Management
- Amar Nath and Shashi Khosla School of Information Technology
- Kusuma School of Biological Sciences
Cut-off Ranks (Opening and Closing) for Admissions in Undergraduate Courses (JEE Adavanced-2013):
Computer Science & Engineering
Production & Industrial Engineering
Extracurricular: There is a Student Activity Center (SAC) at IITD for extra curricular activities. SAC consists of a gymnasium, swimming pool, pool and billiards rooms, squash courts, table tennis rooms, a badminton court, a music room, a fine arts room, a robotics room and a committee room used to organise quizzing and debating events.
There are various student bodies in IITD each having its own responsibilities, Some of them are following-
- Board for Recreational and Creative Activities (BRCA) & Board for Student Welfare(BSW)
- Board for Student Publications (BSP)
- Board for Sports Activities (BSA)
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- Technocracy (consisting of Astronomy Club, Economics Club, Electronics Club and Tech Workshops).
There are a total of 18 libraries (departmental) and a central library.
There are more than 130000 records of books (bibliographic).
Halls of Residence
There are total 13 hostels, 2 for the girls, 11 for the boys. The hostels have been provided with many facilities and amenities like a room for indoor games, a reading room, lounge and also a dining hall that too with mess facilities.
- There is a hospital that is located in the center of the campus. OPD facilities are there.
- There is also a Pathology Lab that provides for various tests related to blood, stool, urine and various other biochemical tests.
- There are various other facilities like physiotherapy, dental facilities, ICU, aerosol therapy radiography and above all ECG facility. There is ambulance service that is available for 24 hours
- Rendezvous: It is the annual cultural festival at IITD held in October over four days.
- Tryst: It is held in March.
- Cultural Exchange Fellowship
- ADB Scholarship Scheme
- Merit-cum-means (MCM) scholarships
- Mrs. Shanti Chopra Scholarship
- Deepak Gera Memorial Loan Scholarship.
- Comp Labs