India has always been a center of high quality education since time immemorial and it continues to be so. There are a number of institutes that have been established for imparting specialized education in the field of science, management, technology and so on. the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore is probably the oldest institutes in the country which has been dedicating itself to bring out gems in the field of science and allied areas.
- Initially, IISc was envisaged as ‘Research Institute’ or a ‘University of Research’ by the veteran Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata in the later part of the 19th century
- The idea to establish such an institute had borne in the mind of J. N. Tata way back in 1896. But it was in 1909 that his dreams were finally realized five years after his death and the institute came into existence
- Many great personalities were involved in this struggle for establishing such an institute including the great Swami Vivekananda, Shri Krishnaraja Wodeyar, Buriorji Padshah and others
- The institute is spread over 400 acres of land in the city of Bangalore and boasts of architectural magnificence and also natural beauty
- IISc collaborates with various government organizations like DRDO, ISRO, Bharat Electronics Limited, Aeronautical Development Agency, National Aerospace Laboratories, CSIR, Department of IT (Government of India)
- In the beginning, only two departments were there in the institute offering courses on General and Applied Chemistry and Electro-Technology
- It is an institute that has produced scientists and scholars of the highest repute and takes pride in the presence of a faculty that has dedicated its time and talent towards creating individuals who would take India to the peak of success
- IISc can proudly say that it has contributed immensely to the growth and development of the country and its scientific endeavors.
The institute takes pride in having as its alumni, people who have taken India to the global platform and brought tremendous glory to the country
- Dr. C. V. Raman
- Vikram Sarabhai
- Satish Dhawan
- H. J. Bhabha
- C. N. R. Rao
Academic Overview: Being an institute of such significance, it is expected to have an academic curriculum that justifies its inception as a science institute and it doesn’t disappoint either. The different departments have been categorized into several divisions having excellent infrastructure. A few of them are:
- Chemical Division – It has the best Surface Science Laboratory in India
- Electrical Division – This division has been given the work of carrying out research projects offered by agencies like DRDO, DST, DOE and MHRD
- Physical and Mathematical Division – Prof. C. V. Raman founded this division back in 1933. It has been given the recognition of a center for advanced study.
In the area of research studies also, the institute has achieved great success and have contributed greatly in this field. Many of the divisions of the institute are engaged in some or the other research activities either on their own or sponsored. The electrical division, for instance, is engaged in projects like:
- Image Processing and Feature Extraction
- Microprocessor based Arrhythmia System
- Retinal Neural Networks
- Diffraction Tomography for Imaging in Oceans
- Education and Research in Computer Networking
- Keyword Spotting in Continuous Speech
- Computer-aided Rapid Prototyping and many more
Extracurricular: The Indian Institute of Science not only provides unparalleled academic structure but it also allows the students to engage in various extracurricular activities as well. a number of student club have been formed including:
- Nityotsava – A cultural club promoting rich heritage of Karnataka
- Prasthutha – Organizes events that promote nationalistic thinking
- Samskrita Sangha – Conducts literary events to promote Samskrita
- Tamil Peravai – A forum engaged in the work of promoting and sharing culture, language and history of Tamil.
- Pravega- It is the annual science, technology and cultural festival of Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Started in 2013 by the undergraduates of IISc, the fest advertises itself as an eclectic blend of science, technology and culture packed into three January days.
Academic Ranking of World Universities
Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings
QS World University Rankings
- Comp Labs