Indian Institute of Technology is one of the eight new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India in the year 2009. Even though it is relatively new and is yet to have fully functioning facilities, nevertheless, it is functioning quite well and a good number of students have enrolled to study there under various programs.
- IIT Mandi is mentored by IIT Roorkee, which hosted the first batch of students. The main permanent campus, a total of 565 acres of land which has been allocated by the government of Himachal Pradesh is in the forested hills of Kamand, about 12 km from Mandi town.
- IIT Mandi offers undergraduate programs in Engineering, postgraduate programs in Science and PhD programs.
- It offers a world-class academic environment with the amenities including modern classrooms, labs and libraries, sports and extra-curricular facilities, on-campus housing for all faculty and students
- IIT Mandi has a placement cell which has successfully organized the first placement process for the first batch. Some of the past recruiters of the institute are- Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Infosys, HPCL etc.
Academic Overview: All the academic departments works under the schools setup in then institute. Currently there are four schools at the campus-
- School of Computing and Electrical Engineering
- School of Engineering
- School of Basic Sciences
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Cutoff Ranks (Opening-Closing) of IIT JEE (Advanced) 2013
Computer Science and Engineering
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Extracurricular: IIT Mandi promotes many extracurricular activities at the college level. It has various student councils and societies to manage all these activities. Some of them are following-
- Cultural Society
- Literary Society
- Science and Technology Council
- Exodia- Exodia was the first techno-cultural festival of IIT Mandi. It was held in February,12 and was a huge success.
Facilities: There are many facilities that have been provided in IIT Mandi. Some of them are listed below-
7 hostels are there and interestingly each one of them has been allotted for the students of different years.
- Girls are provided with Renuka Hall and it is placed just adjoining to Administration Block which is above the famed Mandi bus stand.5 for boys and 2 for Girls.
- MS or PH. D students are getting Beas Kund Hall.
- The hostels are equipped with Wi-Fi connectivity, badminton court, LCD TV, washing machine, mess and visitors room etc.
IIT Mandi is providing all kinds of collections and facilities in its Central Library.
- The Library operates by using KOHA LMS. At present there are more than 12400 books and some 2000 and above e-journals.
- The Central Library is providing with ACM Digital library.
- E-book and computing facilities are also there.
The Institute is providing with all the facilities for playing cricket, football, badminton, chess, basketball, swimming and volleyball.
National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning or NPTEL Program is a plan, a proposal of the magnificent 7 IITs.
- It is providing with Video and Web courses in the field of Humanities, Science and Engineering.
- It is basically an E-Learning program, online endeavor to gain access to the world of knowledge.
- Dr. Satinder Kumar Sharma, SCEE, awarded best poster prize at ICONSAT
- On 29th December, 2013 IIT Mandi's faculty-staff cricket team won the Gold Medal
- Dr. Rahul Vaish awarded by Indian Ceramic Society
Scholarship: There are various scholarships provided for the meritorious students. They are as follows-
- Institute Scholarship for the students belonging to SC/ST category.
- HTRA scholarship for the students (Scholars) pursuing MS and PH. D.
- The students belonging to the General Category are getting Merit cum Mean Scholarship.
Hostel For : Male
Boys hostel of IIT Mandi, situated in south campus, Kamand.
- Comp Labs