The Vellore Institute of Technology as the name suggest is located in Vellore, Tamil Nadu. It is often considered one of the best technical universities in India. VIT was declared a deemed university under the University Grants Commission Act of 1956 Section 3.
- Initially the university was called Vellore Engineering College and was founded on 5th June 1984 by G. Vishwanathan
- It is located in the city of Vellore in, Tamil Nadu, between Chennai and Bangalore. It is 130 km west of Chennai and 180 km east of Bangalore. The nearest airport is Chennai. Vellore-katpadi Junction is the nearest railway station, just 3 km from VIT campus
- At the time of its inception the university offered just 3 courses but today the university offers 34 post graduate and 18 under graduate courses to its students
- Students come from far and wide to be part of the VIT educational experience. Currently the university houses students from over 47 nations
- Many leading accreditation societies and media organization have placed the university among the top 10 universities of the nation
- Before being declared a deemed university the VIT came under the purview of the Madras University. The university has also received ISO: 9002 certificate for various things like education, hostel facilities, etc.
- The university has been recognized by national accreditation universities like NAAC, UGC, NBA, DNV and IEI. VIT university was the first Indian engineering institution to get ABET Accreditation for both civil and mechanical programs
- VIT is the first educational institution to be honored with the TVN-KIDAO-NIQR award instituted by the National Institute of Quality and Reliability (NIQR), for maintaining exceptional quality.
- Students who wish to study at VIT have to clear VITEEE (Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination). This exam is held in the 1st week of June every year
VIT’s academics is structured around nine schools listed below-
- School of Computing Science & Engineering (SCSE)
- School of Bio Sciences & Technology (SBST)
- School of Information Technology & Engineering (SITE)
- School of Electrical Engineering (SELECT)
- School of Social Sciences & Languages (SSL)
- School of Advanced Sciences (SAS)
- School of Electronics Engineering (SENSE)
- School of Mechanical & Building Sciences (SMBS)
- VIT Business School (VITBS)
VIT has entered into Limca Book of Records thrice for the excellent record of its placements
No. of offers
COGNIZANT, ACCENTURE, WIPRO
Activities are a major part of the campus activities at VIT University. A number of clubs are offered to students so that they can hone their skills which are important for a successful professional life, apart from academics. Some of the clubs on campus are:
- Dramatics Club
- Music Club
- Youth Red Cross
- Debate Club
There are two main fests conducted in VIT-
- GraVIT- It is a techfest (technology oriented festival) conducted in August/September
- Riviera- It is a sports and cultural festival. It pulls more than 300 participants from over 20 colleges and universities
The university offers some of the best facilities among the technical universities of India. The university has to offer such high standard facilities to its students and faculty as they host a number of foreign nationals
- The university has a total of 17 hostels of which 13 are for men and the rest of for women.
- The 13 hostels for men house 7000 male students.
- The 4 women’s hostels houses 3200 women.
- The women students have entry to gyms and swimming pools at a particular hostel facility.
- The names of the men’s hostel are, Charles Darwin block, Swami Vivekananda block, Rabindranath Block, Sir C.V.Raman block, Socrates Block, Ramanujan Block, John F Kennedy Block, S. Radhakrishnan block, N S C Bose Block, Md. Ismail block.
· Women’s hostels are named- Mother Teresa block, Kalpana Chawla block, Indira Gandhi Block etc.
The library of the university is home not only some of the best technical books of the country but also some of the best leisure reads of the country.
- 2,66,389 Documents
- 2,10,590 Volumes of Books
- 26,803 Back Volumes and 14,469 CDs\ DVDs
- 561 video cassettes and 315 Audio Cassettes
- Video Conferencing facility and NPTEL video courses
- Its ample infrastructure includes 499 Workstations, 93 Servers, 4232 Desktops (Intel & AMD), over 1170 Laptops (Dell, HP, IBM & Lenovo) and 489 Printers
- It also has Centre for Technical Support (CTS) that has strength of 30 technicians
The Health Center has support from 10 staff nurses, 1 male nursing assistant, 1 pharmacist, 2 lab technicians, 1 health assistant and much more
- 6453 sq. ft. space in the first floor & & 1511 sq. ft. of AL Mudalaiyar Block has 18 In-patient beds, 5 consultation rooms, a pharmacy and 4 observation beds
The university has a large auditorium to accommodate the numerous students. The institute has following set of building name:
- Anna Auditorium having capacity of 1800
- Dr. M. Channa Reddy Auditorium with capacity of 462
- Dr. Ambedkar Auditorium with space of 198
- Kamaraj Auditorium with area capacity of 128
Infrastructure has been provided by the university to students to play games such as cricket, football, chess, carom, and softball.
- The university has 4 gymnasiums which have state of the art equipment. 2 of the gyms are for men, 1 for women and one of them is shared.
- VIT has its own swimming pool of 50 m length and 8 lanes. The pool is lit with floodlights in case students would want to practice in the evening.
VIT has often been ranked as the best technical university in India
- The university has been accredited by the Institute of Engineering and Technology, United Kingdom.
- University Grants Commission has given the university A ranking
- VIT has entered into Limca Book of Records thrice
- VIT has been awarded the ISO 9002 by the Holland’s DNV for 3 years.
The university offers several scholarships to financially challenged students such that brilliance is not hindered by money. The scholarship programs are segregated for Indian students, foreign students, and backward classes. Some of the companies or organizations which offer scholarships at the university are:
- Mahindra Plexion Gold Medal
- Institute of new awards by the director of IR
- Nicholas Piramal India ltd.
- Comp Labs