Jamia Hamdard University is providing the students with excellent education. Students passing out from here do not have to wait for employment. It is located at Hamdard Nagar, Delhi. It is a UGC recognized University. It has been accredited by NAAC with ‘A Grade. The University was set up with the formation of a small clinic (Unani) in 1906. The god work was done by Hakeem Hafiz Abdul Majeed, a celebrated practitioner of Unani System of Medicine. Hakeem Abdul Hameed, an illustrious son of an illustrious father (Hakeem Hafiz Abdul Majeed) carried the legacy forward and now the University is scaling new heights.
- In the year 1962, Hakeem Abdul Hameed established the Institute of History of Medicine and Medical Research. The objective was clear: promoting research and education in the annals of history of medicine.
- In 1963, Hakeem Abdul Hameed and all his Muslim friends and various other associates established the Indian Institute of Islamic Studies so that the views of Islamic Culture and Civilization can be promoted for the welfare of the society.
- In the same year (1963), the Hamdard Tibbi College was established in Gali Qasim Jaan, in the Old Delhi. However, it was transferred to Jamia Hamdard Campus in the year 1980 so that adequate education can be provided to the students related to Unani Medicine. The aim was very decent and clear, carrying forward the hailing legacy of the Unani Medicine.
- In the year 1972, the Hamdard College of Pharmacy was established with a view to provide training and education in all the aspects of pharmacy.
- The dream came true in the year 1989 when the University had been given the status and power of being a ‘Deemed University’ by the Ministry of Human Resource Development on the 10th of May, 1989
Faculty: There are many faculties in this University. Some of them are as follows:
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Allied Health Sciences
- Faculty of Islamic Studies and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering and Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Faculty of Management Studies and Information Technology
- Club Activities which includes Biz-Quiz, Ad-mad shows, Debates, etc.
- Guest Lectures
- Industrial Tours
Facilities: There are many facilities that have been provided in this University. Some of them are as follows:
Central Instrumentation Facility –The Central Instrument Facility was set up in July in the year 1990 with the installation of:
- Perkin-Elmer HPLC
- Mettler electronic balance
- L7 Backman Ultra-centrifuge
- Sorval Rt-6000 Low speed centrifuge
- Perkin-Elmer 8700 Gas Chromatograph
- DU-64 Backman UV-VIS Spectrometer.
In the year 1992, ßeta-counter DNA Electrophoresis systems and gamma-counter were added to the Central Instrument Facility. Lately, Perkin-Elmer LS-50 Luminescence spectrometer, Bio-rad FT-IR spectrometers, Perkin-Elmer Lambda-20 Double-beam UV-VIS spectrophotometer and Mini-computer facility consisting of eight computers with Internet facilities and also e-mail facilities were added in the Central Instrument Facility.
Majeedia Hospital –This hospital being a recognized hospital provides for all the modern and latest system of Unani medicine.
- The hospital accommodates 150 patients.
- In a year around 84,000 patients are being attended in the Out Patient Department.
- The setting up of a six bedded well facilitated Intensive Care Unit (ICU) has been a landmark achievement.
- The students, teachers and staffs are given free OPD service. Their family members are also included.
Hostel–The University provides hostels for both the girls and the boys.
- The rooms are very spacious and also very well furnished and maintained.
- The rooms are neat and clean.
- There is common room in each and every hostel.
- Reading rooms, dining hall, visitors’ room are being provided for the users of the hostels (in terms of staying).
- A brand new hostel for the girls was constructed that can accommodate around 125 students. The Islamic Development Bank extended its financial hand.
Hakim Mohammed Said Central Library –
- The Hamdard University library is very much well equipped and there are six faculty libraries:
- The central library of the university has been named as ‘Hakim Mohammed Said Central Library’. Hakim Mohammed Said Hakeem Abdul Hamid’s younger brother.
- The library has over 1.46 lakh collections that includes 1, 05,000 English, Hindi, Arabic, Urdu and Persian books.
- There are 17,000 bound volumes. 20,000 rare collection and some 4500 manuscripts in Arabic, Urdu and Persian languages.
- The library is receiving 200 Indian and international journals. Out these, 124 have been subscribed and the rest 76 free of charge.
- Hakeem Abdul Majeed Merit Scholarship of Rs.125 per month.
- Hakeem Abdul Hameed Fellowship to M.D. (Unani) students.
- Hamdard Research Fellowships of Rs.4000/- per month for Ph.D. students.
- Maulana Wahid Hussain Memorial Merit Scholarship for BUMS.
- Maulana Ahmad Raza Merit Scholarship for M.A. students.
- Comp Labs