The state of Punjab is known for its natural and cultural heritage, the five rivers and also for its superior higher educational institutions. There a good number of universities in Punjab which are amongst the top ones in India and the Guru Nanak Dev University is one of them. It was established on November 24, 1969 as a mark of respect to Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji on his 500th birth anniversary.
- The university is a unique one as it is a residential as well as an affiliating university
- By the Guru Nanak Dev University Act 1969, this institution came into being and hence been going strong every year.
- The life and teachings of Guru Nanak are a part of the academic curriculum which enables the students to crave for a better and respectful life apart from being professionally successful
- It has been granted by the UGC the University Center for Excellence in Sports Sciences
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has accredited the university at the Five Star Level which is the highest accreditation for any university
- There are 37 departments, two colleges and regional centers and a lot more departments under the university which being looked at efficiently
- The University has facility of computerized examination and registration system and also provides an all-time access to the students through SMS service
- The University provides best of the placement opportunities and more than 4000 students have been placed in top companies through its campus placements
- The Guru Nanak Dev University has established itself as a premier institution in the field of industry related and job-oriented education. The courses it offers are all encompassing, allowing the students to choose on their own.
- Nand Kishore( Ph D, FNASc Professor, Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay)
- Sarban Singh(Financial Commissioner & Principal Secretary to Govt. of Haryana)
- Ramesh Jhakhu (IAS Officer)
- Wing Commander Sushil Kumar(Director, Indian Council of Historical Research)
Placement Record for the year 2014:
No. of Students
Navyug Info Solutions
Indegene Life Systems
Decathlon Sports India
A library plays a vital role in the growth of any educational institution providing priceless resources to help the students and teachers and scholars as well. The GNDU library too is an inseparable part of the university.
- The university library has been named after an eminent Sikh Scholar, Bhai Gurdas
- It has a 24 hour reading room
- It has a collection of around 4, 70, 875 printed materials including theses papers, books, periodicals, magazines etc.
- More than 1000 manuscripts and 9000 rare books are also add to the collection of the library
- There are various sections in the library like microfilming section, Punjabi Reference Library, Prof. Pritam Singh section etc. which makes it well organized
- E-resources too are provided to make the students have access to all the national and international journals and other resources
- 150 gifted journals, 116 foreign and 244 Indian journals are an added collection of the library which is provided through INDSET
The university takes the physical development of a student very seriously and hence, provides them with all the major sports facilities that a university can have.
- The Department of Physical Education has been given the responsibility to look after the games and sports and physical education of the student
- It has been bestowed with hi modern facilities which has earned it national recognition and a number of awards too
- The department boasts of a sports complex having international standard stadiums such as an Astro-Turf Hockey Stadium, a swimming pool having the standard of the Olympic level etc
- An open air gym is also made available in the complex with all the modern amenities and provides fitness training to the students.
- In the various inter-university games, the GNDU has achieved unmatched success winning numerous awards and recognitions
Other facilities include:
- Hi tech computer center
- Punjabi Folklore Museum
- An Auditorium with the capacity of 900 seats
- Several seminar and conference halls
- Students’ Center
- University Zonal and Inter-zonal Youth Festivals are organized by the department every year
- Youth Leadership Training & Hiking, Trekking Camps and also Inter-State Tours and coaching camps are organized by the department too.
- According to a survey by 'India Today’, Guru Nanak Dev University is ranked 16th in the top 50 universities of the country and has been allotted 11th Position, out of the 500 universities, in Publications in science.
- The University has made a record of 21 times in receiving getting the highest sports Award in the country, the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Trophy
- National Championship was awarded to the University in the Inter-University Youth Festivals, 2012
- The University has also won the North Zone Inter-University Cultural Championship for the 12 times this year
- The Dr. B. L. Gupta Overall Championship Trophy based on the Inter-University tournaments have also been won by it for 10 times
- Several other awards of the highest stature have been won by its students such as the very prestigious Arjuna Award
- Comp Labs