The Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) is a leading medical college of India, and is most renowned for Centre of excellence in research & education. It was founded in 1948 & presently governed by the Indian Armed Forces. It was ranked 3rd by the India today in 2013. More than 6000 graduates have been passed out from this college till now. The AFMC is fully funded by the Armed Forces of India.
- The Graduate section in AFMC was developed in 1962 with the aim of increasing the intakes of graduate into the Armed Force. It is presently affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences.
- The college is well recognized by the Medical Council of India for conducting 5 years along with 6 months teaching internship program in MBBS.
- Every year there are total 130 seats offered by AFMC in the MBBS course out of which 105 are reserved for boys, 25 for girls and the remaining 10 seats for the SC/ST candidates.
- The college also offers training programs to undergraduates, post graduates, dental post graduates, paramedical & nursing.
- AFMC is a research Centre for identification of pathogens, confirmation of disease and classification of blood disorders and it also acts as a referral center, designated by WHO for certain diseases such as HIV-regional laboratory and center for rickettsial diseases.
- AFMC is a research and referral center for confirmation of disease, identification of pathogens (viral and bacterial) and classification of blood disorders
- It is the first college to start up Surgery Department in India in 1950. The college is accountable for serving the well qualified & excellent specialists to the Armed Forces.
- To take admission in MBBS course, students have to pass an objective type written exam All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT), conducted on 28 centers all over India & then they have to clear the Interview.
- The institute has provided all sports facilities like Tennis, basketball, playground & swimming pool. Additionally, an open air cinema hall screen is also available in the campus.
- Hospitals that are affiliated with AFMC include Command Hospital (Southern Command), Military Hospital (Cardio Thoracic Centre), Artificial Limb Centre and Military Hospital (Khadki).
- Candidates who complete their MBBS from AFMC are mandatory to work as commissioned officers in the Armed Forces. They also have to give a written bond obliging this rule at the time of their joining. As soon as the candidates complete their MBBS course half of them are given permanent commission and the rest are given short services commission jobs.
Academic Overview: AFMC is the best college for starting up professional career in medical studies. It is well known for the center of excellence in education & research. It offers various Nursing programs, MBBS & various post graduate programs. Some notable departments are-
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Hospital Administration
- Department of Dermatology
- Department of Micro logy
- Department of Pharmacology
- A study of DNA Methylation pattern in Promotor Region of p16, p15 & E Cadherin Genes from Cervical Scrapings was researched by Lt Col Mithu Banerjee in 2009.
- Aberrant Immuno phenotypic Expression in Acute Leukemias was researched by Col. Ajay Malik in 2009.
- Study of Plasma Mediated Radio Frequency based Ablation Palatolasty for Treatment of Snoring was researched by Col SK Singh in 2009.
- An experimental study of Sildenafil & Nimodipine on Cognitive effects in Albino Mice was researched by Lt. Sharmila Singa in 2009.
Extracurricular: AFMC always endeavors to provide non- academic exposure to the students along with academics. Its faculty encourages all the students to participate in extra activities like dancing, music, sports and lot more. For indulging students in all these activities, college has started up numerous hobbies club, Adventure club, Debating club & Musimatics.
Facilities: AFMC being a premier college in the league of medical institutions provides best facilities to the cadets. Some of its facilities are described below-
Infrastructure: The college campus is surrounded by the gardens, trees & beautiful flowers which are maintained by the maintenance staff. The canteen facilities are also provided in the campus. The college is well equipped with latest technology features. It has large auditorium named Dhanvantri, where all high standard medical conferences are held. Apart from all this AFMC has the facility for Animal house along with hatcheries for disease producing insects.
Hostel: Separate hostel accommodation facilities are provided to the boys & girls & staying in hostel is mandatory for the students during the course. Free mess service is provided to all medical cadets. The college has provided separate hostel to the officers doing post-graduation. Recently college has started up new boy’s hostel & common mess for the students to dine together.
Boy’s hostel: The boy’s hostel was built up in 1965 & presently consists of 6 blocks & 3 floors each. There are-
- 277 Single Occupancy Rooms
- 162 Double & Triple Occupancy Rooms
- 4 Messes
Girl’s Hostel: The girl’s hostel was built up in 1984 & presently admits 130 cadets in the hostel. There are-
- 70 Single Occupancy Rooms
- 30 Double Occupancy Rooms
- 4 Messes
Hospital: Initially there were three hospitals which were amalgamated in one hospital and named Military Hospital and then it was re-designated as Command Hospital (Southern Command) in 1967. It is spread over 105 acres of land and is the largest hospital of the Indian Army. Department of Neurosurgery, Department of Urology, Department of Plastic Surgery are some of its prominent departments that make it best hospital for the Armed Forces.
- Ranked 2nd among Top Best Medical Colleges of India by Outlook survey in 2012.
- Ranked 3rd in 2013 among Top Medical Colleges in India by India today.
- Comp Labs