All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), has become a lifesaving institution.The dream of Nehru and Amrit Kaur and the recommendations of the Bhore Committee which found favor of the government of New Zealand and then only it was become possible. A generous grant from the New Zealand under Colombo Plan made it possible to lay the foundation stone of AIIMS in 1952.The AIIMS was finally created in 1956, as an autonomous institution through the act of Parliament.
- It is located at Ansari Nagar, Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi
- The Institute has modern facilities for teaching, research and patient-care. AIIMS conducts teaching programs in medical and para-medical courses for both levels UG & PG.
- Teaching and research are conducted in 42 disciplines. In the field of medical research AIIMS is having more than 600 research publications by the faculty and many researchers in one year.
- AIIMS also runs College of Nursing in which they train students for B.Sc.(Hons.) degrees.
- 25 clinical departments including four super specialty centers manage practically all types of disease conditions with support from pre and Para-clinical departments.
- AIIMS also have 60-beded hospital in the Comprehensive Rural Health Centre at Ballabgarh, Haryana and provides health cover to about 2.5 lakh population through the Centre for Community Medicine.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in medical and related physical, biological sciences.
- Education innovations
- Nursing and dental education
- Producing medical teachers for country.
- Research in medical and related sciences.
- Health care: preventive, promotive and curative; primary, secondary & tertiary.
- Image analysis system for quantitative and stereological study of tissues.
- Control of Diarrheol diseases.
- Flowcytometry in progress in Biotechnology Laboratory for identification of DNA ploidy and surface markers in cancer cells.
The AIIMSONIANS is the indexed association of ALUMNI of AIIMS, New Delhi, India. It was set up in 1962, when the first batch of MBBS students bade adieu. Some of the activities are listed below:
- Annual AIIMsonians Picnic
- The AIIMsonians Banquet
- PULSE – The cultural & social extravaganza.
- Annual Aiimsonians Cricket Match
Conferences & Workshops:-
International Conference on Cognitive Behavior Intervention (ICCBI AIIMS-2015)
- The event will be held on 5th & 6th March of 2015 along with pre-conference training workshops and and post-conference training workshops on 4th of March and on 7th March of 2015 respectively.
- ICCBI AIIMS - 2015 is designed to be State of the Art Conference, providing a rich platform for National and International participation from students and faculty.
- The AIIMS Library is well equipped with all modern facilities and huge collections of books. Library building consists of two floors with area of 27000 square feet and seating capacity of 300 people.
- The library is a treasure house having 61423 books, 53547 journals and 14008 reports in the field of Biomedical Sciences. The library receives 490 journals and 80 newsletters every year.
Computer facility: Computer facility was created in the institute in 1978 in the Department of Biophysics. At the point, computerization was on a small scale and was catering only to Biophysics. In 1987, the institute decided to augment the facility and Computer facility was created and became operational in full scale in January 1989.
- The Central Workshop was established in 1964 under Colombo Plan by Australian Govt. to promote the repair and maintenance of World Class Biomedical Equipment’s.
- It was also assigned WHO Project India 0199 to train the technicians for medical equipment’s maintenance under the project of CWS through WHO and UNICEF.
- Central Workshop has trained 206 trainees from different State Hospitals in India and the under developed countries in South East Asia such as Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan & Burma.
EHS:- E.H.S. (Dept. of Family Medicine) was established on pattern of Central Government Health Services at AIIMS to take care of promotive, preventive and curative aspects of health care of institute employees and their dependents.
Electron Microscope:-Recognizing the contribution of the laboratory and the need for the ultrastructural investigations, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India established a Regional Electron Microscope facility in 1983 at AIIMS under its RSIC/SIF program. This center is now known as Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facility (SAIF) – AIIMS, New Delhi, under the SAIF Program of DST.
Medical Social Welfare Services:- The Welfare Officer at AIIMS is involved in the following multifarious welfare activities concerning patients and employees.
National Poison Information Centre:- The National Poisons Information Centre (NPIC) was established in the Department of Pharmacology at AIIMS in 1995.
Telemedicine Facility:- Telemedicine is an emerging field in healthcare arising out of the synergistic convergence of Information Technology with Medical Science having enormous potential in meeting the challenges of healthcare delivery to rural and remote areas besides several other applications in education, training and management in health sector
Awards:- AIIMS Excellence Award-2012:-Awarded First Prize to Dr. D.N.Rao, Professor, Department of Biochemistry.
- "AIIMS is India’s best public hospital. The Government-run hospital, with around 2,000 beds, treated 3.5 million people yet, achieving mortality and infection rates comparable to the best facilities in the developed world – for fees that come to about $1 a day for inpatients" Newsweek
- " Best Medical College in India" India Today, Outlook
Hostel For : Male