Indraprastha College for Women popularly known as IP College is the eldest women's college of the University of Delhi. It was established in 1924 as a part of the nation-wide operation for women's empowerment and education. Presently this prestigious College has membership of over 2670 students.
- The College ranks in the top 10 Arts colleges of the city and the top 20 in the country.
- It is the only college in the Delhi University to offer course in Bachelor In Journalism and Mass Communication and is ranked among the top 5 media schools in the country
- In 2005, the college added,The cyber cafe wing, into its campus, with offices of N.C.C and N.S.S
- It is located on Nath Marg which is 2 km. from Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
- 5% seats in each course have been reserved for the children of armed forces
- 2% seats are reserved for person with proficiency in sports
Being such an old and prestigious college, this institute has produced a number of alumni who excelled in their fields, some of them are:
- Aruna Roy who is a Social activist, campaigner for the Right to Information and winner of Magsaysay Award
- Kavita Choudhary who is Script- writer, actor, director
- Komal G.B. Singh who is TV and media personality
- Pratima Puri Doordarshan’s first female newscaster
- Sharan Rani Backliwal an acclaimed Sarod player, recipient of Padma Shri & Padma Vibhushan
- Veena Maitra – The former Director General, Defence Estates.
The Indraprastha Library endeavours to create a lively environment for students.
- The library has gathering of over 1,00,000 book
- 6700 bound journals
- 82 current journals and magazines
- 21 sets of encyclopedia
- 21 daily newspapers
- A fully electronic Audio-Visual Room
- The Library has an ICT Centre with 80
- The college offers the facility of 3 computer labs.
- The college has a Wi-Fi enabled campus.
- The College's widespread sports facilities
- 2 tennis courts and the basketball court.
- Indoor sports center of international standards.
- The College also has a very large and well- maintained sports field
N.C.C activities in 2013-2014 :
- Parade Training every week within the College premises
- Writing competition was organized on February 22, 2013,in which 35 cadets participated
- Ten cadets attended TSC camp in Delhi
- The cadets passed the Annual 'B' and 'C' Certificate Examination conducted by the Ministry of Defence
- Six cadets attended Army Attachment Camp in Meerut from July 21-31
Programmes organize by N.S.S
- It hosted 'Pink Chain Campaign', a nationwide Cancer awareness campaign with an NGO (Punarjeevan)
- An Health Camp with Young Concepts' to promote awareness about health and hygiene among young women
- Help Unite Generation (HUG) for the celebration of celebration of 'International Day of Elderly Persons' at the India Habitat Centre
- The Reading/Recording/Writing project for visually-impaired students
Career and Guidance Cell
It helps in placing students to the reputed companies.
In 2012 – 2013, 40 companies visited the College and about 100 students have been placed in various reputed companies.
The College offers numerous extra-curricular activities and surpasses in Dance, Dramatics, Debate, Fine arts, Music, and Choreography. The College also turns an NCC unit and the NSS program. Some of the other societies that students can enroll them in are:
- Abhivyakti: It is one of the first few dramatic societies of Delhi University.
- Afroza- The Burning Fire, is the western dance society
- Alaap- The Indian Music Society of the college is actively tangled in learning Indian usual music
- English Debating Society
- Eco Club
- Quiz Society
- Discussion Form
- Simulacra, the Film and Photography society
- Laashya- The contemporary dance society
- Hindi Debating Society
- Western Music Society
- Hindi Editorial
- Debate- First Fresher's Parliamentary Debate in 2013
Inter-College Archery Championship
Delhi State Archery Championship
First Position (Recurve Round),Second Position (Indian round) and First Position (Team Championship)
Inter-College Badminton Championship
Inter-College Chess Championship
Delhi State Wrestling Championship
Delhi State Judo Championship
Silver and Bronze
Delhi State Yoga Championship
- Pinky of B.Sc. (H) Computer Science I year represented Delhi University in North Zone Intervarsity Baseball Tournament
- Preetika of B.A. (H) Philosophy II year represented Delhi University in All India Intervarsity Tournament.
- Priyanka Rawat of B.A. (H) Hindi III year represented Delhi State as Coach of Junior National Baseball Championship.
Festivals - The festivals which are celebrated in the college are:
- Vivaad- The annual Debating Festival
- Shruti “The Ethernal Song” is the annual cultural fest of the college
- ‘MISE-EN-SCENE’ which is an international film festival organized by Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
- In the survey by India Today, Indraprastha College for Women is ranked 32 in India under the category of India’s Best Arts College 2011
- The college is amongst the top 10 colleges of arts
Merit cum means based scholarships are awarded by the College to deserving students. A few of them are:
- Scholarship By Sitaram Jindal Foundation is given to needy and meritorious students admitted to the first year of any graduation course who have scored 60% and above in the last exam and their parents income from all sources is less than 2,00,000 (INR) p.a.
- Delhi University Women’s Association Scholarship which gives two scholarships of 1000 (INR) p.a. or a period of 3 years to the needy and deserving daughters of Jawans, whose family income is less than the amount from which it starts attracting income tax.
- Shri D.D. Kapoor Scholarship for student of BA (H) Eco. Part 1whose family income is less than the amount from which it starts attracting income tax
Hostel For : Female
Fees: 82200 - 85300
Hostel has a capacity of accomodating 200 students.
- Comp Labs