Elphinstone College occupies a unique position in the annals of education in the country. It is an outstanding place of learning which came into existences much before the University of Mumbai, to which it was later on affiliated.
- The Institution is known for its open access to student from all strata of the society. This includes various communities, income groups and interests.
- The building of the College with its gothic architecture has been classified as a grade 1 Heritage structure.
- It has recently been restored by the Kala Ghoda Association and has regained its luminous look.
- The College was awarded the Asia -Pacific Heritage Award for culture Heritage Conservation, by UNESCO in 2004.
- Infrastructure goes a long way in enriching the teaching learning experience. The College has recently developed five 'smart' class rooms with interactive boards.
- The enlightened citizens of Mumbai collected a sum of Rs.2, 29, 636.00, for teaching English Language, the Arts and Literature of Europe.
- The interest of the students has always been at the heart of dedicated teachers, who are eminent personalities in their area of expertise.
The College hosts four intercollegiate festivals:
- Maharashtra Utsav brings out the flavour of the State of Maharashtra. This is a festival of music, dance, street plays, debate, besides creative arts such as rangoli, pot painting, etc. this has a good response from colleges all over Maharashtra. It receives a wide coverage in print media, television and radio channels.
- Techtsar is the festival of the B.Sc. IT department
- Department of Biotech has an annual event called Primers
- Gymkhana department conducts ZEAL
The College library is situated on the first floor of the building. It is a spacious hall that provides a quiet, serene environment for study.
- There are approximately 1,20,000 books in the library, including some very old books
- Recent additions include books on subjects as diverse as computer science biotechnology, microbiology, information technology, history, economics, etc.
- The library subscribes to many journals and magazines
- The library is fully automated
The Elphinstone College Gymkhana provides facilities for major games like Cricket, Football at the college playground which is a part of Oval Ground, a short distance away from the college.
- College gives importance to maximum participation of the students at intercollegiate level in various games
- Facilities are also provided within the college premises for playing volleyball and basketball.
There is an indoor badminton court in the College hall
- Facilities for indoor games like table tennis carom and chess are also made available to the students
Earn and Learn
The College runs "Earn and learn" scheme for students belonging to financially weaker sections. These students help out the college in activities such as library record updating.
- Administrative records, preparation of list of admitted students/roll call, etc
- Thus while the College can fill in the manpower gap, the scheme provides a sense of self-esteem to the students. Giving them a feeling of financial independence
For bonafide male students of the college, 50 seats are reserved in Govt. Colleges Hostel; at Church gate (C Road). For Women students of the College, 60 Seats are available at Telang Memorial Girl's Hostel.
Government of India’s Scholarships:
- National Merit Scholarships
- National Loan Scholarships
- National Talent Search Scholarships
- National Scholarships Talent Search Scholarship
- National Scholarships for Talented Children from Rural Area
- Cultural Talent Search Scholarships
- Sports Talent Search Scholarships
Government of Maharashtra’s Scholarships:
- Open Merit Scholarships
- Free-Studentships to students belonging to the Backward Classes
- Free-Studentships to students belonging to the Economically Backward Classes
- Comp Labs