- 100% inhouse placement on ships
- 55 acres campus for training seafarers
- Experienced Faculty
- Reserach & Development
- Complete comprehensive training required for a seafarers
- Meeting Curriculum requirements of the D.G. of Shipping, GOI and IMU, Chennai
- Ship-in-Campus, Free Fall Life Boat and Fast Rescue Boat
- Boat Pulling training to the cadets
Rankings & Awards
- SIMS has been rated the highest grade [GRADE-I] by M/s ICRA Ltd. - Indias leading Ratings, Research, Risk and Policy Advisory Company.
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
SIMS has most modern infrastructure facilities and world class laboratories as indicated below :
- Classrooms :- All the classrooms are fully air conditioned and equipped with Over head projectors. LCD projector mounted on a retractable lift, White magnetic boards, Projection screens, Wireless Microphone systems with speakers, Drinking water arrangement, Notice boards, Well ventilated classrooms with Venetian blinds for light adjustment, Modern classrooms and ergonomic chairs, Soft lights and Wi-fi connectivity.
- Library :- The library is housed in an area of more than 1500 square feet and is fully air-conditioned with a pleasant ambience. The library has books for three categories e.g. Diploma in Nautical Science, B Tech Course and Graduate Marine Engineering and General. To increase cadets and faculty knowledge in their domain areas, to remain abreast with the development and innovations in the maritime field, various monthly journals and magazines/ books (including those authored from abroad) / VCDs etc,
- The workshop of 2361 Sqm is the backbone of the pre-sea training centre, especially in the marine field where the cadets practice situations which are prevalent at sea in real time. The workshop requirements for Deck cadets, B Tech cadets and GME cadets are different while certain basic workshop training requirements being common to all the streams.
- Workshop has technically qualified, trained and experienced instructors. The labs are also manned by technically qualified and experienced lab assistants and instructors. The following are housed in the workshop:-
- Marine Auxiliary Workshop
- Fluid Mechanic Lab
- Machine Shop
- Welding and Gas cutting Shops
- Seamanship Lab
- Fire Fighting Lab
- Smithy Lab
- Material Testing Lab
- Fitting Shop
- Chemical Tanker Manifold
The Marine Science Building of 3791.88 Sqm consists of the following Labs:
- Electrical Lab
- Advanced Automation and Control Lab
- Physics Lab
- Electronics Lab
- Chemistry Lab
- Two Chart work room
- Engine Room Simulator
- Two computer labs with a capacity of 40 computers each
- Steering Simulator
- Main Engine Maneuvering Simulator
- Three in Number Officer of the Watch Ship Maneuvering Simulators
- Electronic Chart Display Information System [ECDIS]
- 3 classrooms having a capacity of 20 students for short lectures
- Inert Gas Simulator
- Fire Fighting Mock up :- This facility contains wherewithal to conduct both Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting Course and the Advanced Fire Fighting Course.
- Integrated Gas Tanker Simulator (IGTS) :- The IGTS simulator is based on a real time fully refrigerated VLGC Ship. The cargo control room is represented by combinations of interactive mimic panels, operational panels, consoles and desk-top stations. Conceived, developed and installed by our parent company M/s Executive Ship Management Pte Ltd., Singapore within a record time of 12 months, this unique facility based on extensive research and radical design, provides wide-ranging training to keep pace with the requirement of practical gas training facilities of the 21st century maritime industry. This facility is one of its kind in the world.
- The simulation system was vetted by the Norwegian classification society DNV (Det Norske Veritas) and Class NK who have issued certification of Full Mission Simulator conforming to Class A Standard for Certification of Maritime Simulators.
- Free Fall Life Boat First ever Free Fall Life Boat (FFLB) training facility in India operation from Sep 2008 approved by Directorate General of Shipping. High quality embarkation platform constructed for FFLB and Lake further deepened to allow 13 metres in order to safe launching of boat. Training facilities to train seafarers in handling a high speed fast rescue craft (FRC) which was also launched for the first time in India.
- Lake and Boats for Seamanship Practice :- A lake of around 2 acres area is created at the site, having a depth of 10 + meters and utilised in boat training and rowing.
- Ship-in-Campus is a unique and exceptional project envisioned by the Management of SIMS Lonavla. The primary motive was to transform maritime education into an inimitable and distinctive institution that nurtures and even shapes the future of the shipping e industry.
- Auditorium : A fully Air Conditioned auditorium to seat 350 persons has been constructed. This is for addressing and gathering of the staff, faculty and visitors for any events, speeches and special occasions. It has got most modern acoustics and projection systems.
- Amphitheatre :- An open air theatre with a capacity of 600 is available for conducting cultural activities by Cadets.
- The cafeteria has three air conditioned dining halls to accommodate 200 cadets at any one time and all these halls are equipped with granite top dining table and aesthetic chairs.
Outdoor and Indoor Recreation Facilities
- Swimming Pool (25 x 13 metre) with a capacity of 25 persons at a time
- Two Volley ball courts
- Two Basket ball courts
- Football, cricket and parade ground
- The gymnasium is equipped with standard equipment like Tread mill, Cross trainer, Upright bike, Multi Gym, Rowing machine mini stepper and other associated equipments.
- Indoor recreation :- They have 5 hostel blocks, each one has the facilities like TT, Carrom Board, Chess, LCD TV, DVD Player, Music System, DTH connection for the TV and News Paper Stand.
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies was formed as a Public Charitable Trust registered with the Charity Commissioner, Mumbai and the IT Authorities in Mumbai in September 2002.
- It is managed by five trustees on the board with Mr BS Teeka as Settlor and Principal Trustee, who have varied experience in the Marine, Corporate and General Education for a total quality input in all aspects of running a maritime training institute.
- The ownership is a Public Charitable Trust.
- In addition, the management is conducted under the aegis of a Governing Council consisting of nine members, an Academic Council consisting of eleven members and an Administrative Council having nine members
- The day to day administration is conducted by the Principal under the guidance of the above trust structure.
- At SIMS Lonavla, the management team consists of Principal, Dean Nautical Science, Dean Marine Engineering, Management Representative and specified Course- in-Charge of pre-sea courses.
Featured Faculty :
Finest combination of teaching and training faculty is in place. Drawn from highly experienced faculty, both in Nautical as well as Engineering streams, the amalgamation reflects a healthy combination of highly respected members with vast academic experience and rich professional strengths.
All faculty members, as Senior Officers on ships, have undertaken extensive teaching and training of officers, engineers and ratings under their charge in all the theoretical and practical subjects. Hence, they possess sufficient experience in teaching/training even prior joining a teaching post. A system is in place for regular guidance and evaluation of all by way of faculty evaluation.