Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) is a National Law University established under the Gujarat National Law University Act, 2003 in the state of Gujarat. It is one of the most prestigious law schools in India. The university is located at Gandhinagar, which is the capital of Gujarat and is located 7 kilometers north of the city of Ahmadabad.
- Motto of the university is “Let the noble thoughts come from all directions”.
- The university is also member of the Association of Indian Universities
- It is ranked as the fastest growing law school in India
- The university started in 2004 and has five batches of 160 students each under training. The batch strength has been increased to 180 from 160 from the academic year 2013-2014.
- GNLU was the sixth National Law University to be set up in the country
- The university is recognized by the Bar Council of India (BCI) and University Grants Commission (UGC)
- university is functioning as nodal agency to uplift the legal education in the State of Gujarat
International collaboration –
- University of Cologne Germany
- University of Mauritius, Mauritius
- University of Malaya, Malaysia
- Hebrew University, Israel
- University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Law, Denmark
Admission procedure – The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) was introduced in 2008. The first CLAT was conducted by NLSIU. As of 2014, all admissions in GNLU, for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs, are made on the basis of performance in the CLAT. A total of 30000 students contested for 180 seats, making the examination one of the most competitive in India. GNLU has an acceptance rate of a mere 0.012%.
Public Sector Undertakings-
- Gujarat Electricity Regulatory Commission
- Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation
- Gujarat Mineral Development Corporation
- Gujarat State Financial Corporation
- Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation
- Gujarat State Power Corporation
- Union Bank of India
Companies and financial institutions –
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
- Ernst & Young
- HDFC Bank Ltd.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd.
- OSC Knowledge Partners
- Pangea 3
- Punjab & Haryana High Court
Number of Books
- Cinematique –It is a Cultural Festival organized by Gujarat National Law University,Gujarat.
- Pentagram-It is a law fest organized by the GNLU.
Extracurricular activities –
- Moot Court
- Student Activities Committee
- Debating Society
- Legal Aid Committee
- Sports Committee
- Student Research Development Committee
Ranking - GNLU is ranked as the 5th Best Law school in the country as of 2013.
- GNLU Scholarship for Students' participation in national and international events and competitions
- GNLU Best Research Award Scholarships
- Tuition Fees Waiver (Scholarship) for Research Assistance
- Scholarships for Student Exchange Programs
- Scholarships for International Internships
Hostel For : Both
The University provides separate Halls of Residence for boys and girls. Students are required to follow certain rules and regulations and maintain proper discipline within the hostels. There is a general code of conduct that every student of GNLU is expected to adhere to both within and outside the campus