Sardar Patel University (SPU) was established in December 1955. It is a university in the Gujarat state of India which is named after independence leader Shree Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (October 31, 1875 to December 15, 1950).
- This university is considered as one of the best in India for higher education. But recent privatization of some of its colleges diluted its prestige and quality.
- SPU is one of the largest (student strength- around 40,000) university in Gujarat.
- The university was established by an Act of the Legislative Assembly of the Bombay Province and was UGC recognized under 2(f) of the UGC Act in October 1968.
- The university has many affiliated colleges and AICTE approved by All India Council for Technical Education, (AICTE), New Delhi.
- The university is the first among all the universities in Gujarat to volunteer for the accreditation in 2000.
- SPU is listed among Top 30 Universities in India.
- The college is reaccredited with B grade by NAAC.
- Sardar Patel University offers 25 post graduate departments with 70 affiliated colleges under its regulations. In addition to that, the university also offers 40 undergraduate and post graduate courses, 8 certificate courses and 20 diploma courses in total.
- B School Excellence Award
- International European Science Award
- Manubhai Memorial Award
- ETNow Award
Extra Curricular Activities:-
There are some committees to take care of these activities:
- Career Counseling Cell
- Anti Ragging cell
- Sports Cell
- Drama Committee
- Dance Comittee
Library: The University Library is named as Bhaikaka Library with a very large and magnificent building having spacious reading rooms that can accommodate 700 readers at a time.
Hostel: Some of the hostel's name are:
- OLD Hostel (Men’s Hostel No. 1)
- Nehru Hall (Men’s Hostel No.2)
- B.Sc. B.Ed. Hostel
- CTE Hostel
- Uni. Women's Hostel & NRI Hostel
- M.B.A.(NRI) Hostel
- Singal Siteted Flat Type Hostel
- Comp Labs