Annamalai University is one of Asia's largest public residential universities located in Annamalai Nagar, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India. The university is spread across 1,500 acres and it offers courses of in science, engineering, humanities, agriculture and arts. AU also provides more than 500 courses through distance education.
- The Directorate of Distance Education (DDE) of Annamalai University offers education to those people who are unable to attend the campus but who desire to study
- It is credited with the largest enrollment in India and i0s well equipped with computers and other infrastructure, separate teaching faculty and administration, study centers, and computer training centers to serve its students
- It was the first institution in India to offer postgraduate degree programs in Applied Psychology, Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Bioinformatics and Law through distance education
- The Directorate of Distance Education also offers programs in Fashion Design, Textile Design, Interior Design, Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Retail Management, Twinning, Health Science, a Commonwealth Youth Program, Yoga, Music, Fire and Safety, Pharmaceutical and Taxation
- All the programs of study offered by the Directorate of Distance Education have the approval of the Distance Education Council, New Delhi. The Directorate introduced a B.Ed. Program through distance education in 2008-09 with the approval of National Council for Teacher Education, New Delhi
- The Annamalai University is a UGC recognised, NAAC accredited university, and it is a unitary, teaching, and residential university
- It was founded by the munificence of the farsighted and noble hearted philanthropist and patron of letters the late Hon'ble Dr. Rajah Sir Annamalai Chettiar of Chettinad, Kt, LL.D., D.Litt.
- He started several colleges and ultimately the University in 1929
- The University has had the unique good fortune of having a succession of eminent Vice-Chancellors to guide its destinies
- During the last eighty years the University has grown rapidly and consolidated its position as a unitary and residential University with Forty nine Departments of Study and over 2500 members on its teaching staff
- This is one of the very few institutions in India with all the Faculties located in the same campus
- The University that started with only seven departments in 1929 has, over the last 80 years, developed into a mighty institution of higher learning with nearly 49 Departments
- Ravi Gomatam, Quantum Physicist, director of Bhaktivedanta Institute and Institute for Semantic Information Sciences and Technology, Berkeley, and Mumbai
- S. D. Somasundaram, Former Cabinet Minister
- T. K. Doraiswamy, Poet and Novelist
- V. R. Nedunchezhiyan, Former Finance Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Vijaya T. Rajendar, Tamil Actor
Annamalai university currently have thirty-three different departments of various and needful subjects and of engineering. They are as follows
- Department Of Medicine
- Department Of Dentistry
- Department Of Engineering and technology
- Department Of Arts
- Department Of Agriculture
- Department Of Education
- Department Of Fine arts
- Department Of Science
- Department Of Indian Languages
- Department Of Marine Sciences
- National Services Scheme (NSS): The service rendered by NSS are varied in nature like Health, Sanitation, Education (formal and non-formal) Legal Aid, Veterinary, and Physical services The NSS is strong with 9,576 students working under 40 Programme Officers from 10 faculties
- National Cadet Corps (NCC)
- Youth Red Cross
Library: The University library is proud to have the library with computers along with internet connection, and has numerous books and journals, both from Indian and foreign publishers, for getting the better references.
- Book Collection : 4,63,000
- Periodicals currently received : 340
- CDs : 126
- Video Cassettes : 100
- Audio Cassettes : 500
University Hostels: There are about 14 hostels including both men and women hostels.
Distance Education: The Directorate of Distance Education established in 1979 offers four hundred and one different programs of study under the distance education mode.
- It is credited with the largest enrollment in India and is well equipped with computer and other infrastructure, adequate teaching faculty and administrative set-up of its own, study centres, computer training centres, etc., to serve its students' clientele in their best interest at their door steps.
- It has also the unique distinction of offering first in India, Postgraduate Degree Programs in Applied Psychology, Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Bioinformatics, and Law through Distance Education mode.
- Campus Recruitment Programs - Campus Recruitment Programs (since Sep 2004) is one of the major events in which prestigious organizations like Asian Motors Ltd, Standard Chartered Bank, Apollo Pharmaceuticals, ESSAR Steel etc. participate to recruit talented candidates.
Sports Facilities: Tennis Complex, The Gymnasium, and Sports Laboratory are few sports facilities to mention here.
Annamalai University is counted amongst the Top 50 Engineering Colleges in India both in private and government sectors according to the Outlook Ranking for the year 2007.
- Comp Labs