Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Science and Technology is popularly known as PRIST University. It was established in the year 1994. PRIST University is situated in the state of Tamil Nadu and in the city of Thanjavur.
- PRIST University is recognised under section 3 of the University Grants Commission-UGC Act of 1956.
- It is a private institution and its motto is quality and discipline.
- PRIST University made its initial attempt and foray into the academic field with the establishment of the Sri Ram Institute of Computer Science and Technology in the year 1985.
- The founding father of the Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Science and Technology is Prof. P. Murugesan. He started the Sri Ram Institute of Computer Science and Technology and his main aim with this University were to introduce Computer Education for the first time in the Thanjavur district.
- In the year 1988, the organization got affiliation from Bharathidasan University to offer Post Graduate Programmes in Computer Applications.
- Prof. P. Murugesan established Ponnaiyah Ramajayam College affiliated to Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappali in the year 1994. This institute was established in the memory of his father Sri Ponnaiyah and his mother Smt. Ramajayathammal.
- The campus of Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Science and Technology or PRIST University is spread over 85 acres of land with more than 7, 00,000 square feet.
- Over time, various institutions such as the Arts and Science College, College of Engineering and Technology, College of Education, Research organization, Polytechnic College and others came up under the aegis of PRIST University. It has now spread across the entire areas of Trichy, Kumbakonam, Puducherry, Chennai, Madurai and well as other areas of Tamil Nadu.
- PRIST University is one of the best universities in the state of Tamil Nadu and its USP is that it consists of every stream of education such as Medicine, Engineering, Arts, Science, Management, Technology and many more.
It offers under graduate, graduate, post graduate, diploma and Doctoral programmes in a big range of disciplines. Some of them are:
- Department of Medicine
- Department of Arts and Science
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Technology
- Department of Management
- Department of Engineering
PRIST University includes three engineering colleges, two polytechnic colleges, two management colleges, two catering and hotel management colleges, six education colleges and one pharmaceutical and Arts and Science College each.
The University has Distance Education Programmes that recognized by the Distance Education Council, IGNOU- Indira Gandhi National Open University at New Delhi.
PRIST University also focuses on extra- curricular activities. Some of the social, cultural, technical and management clubs of PRIST University are:
- National Service Scheme
- Shakespeare Club
- Amateur Marketing Managers Association
- Ramanujan Mathematics Club
- C. V. Raman Club
- PRIST Techno Club PRISWO
- PRIST Social Service League
- PRIST Fine Arts Association
- PRIST Red Ribbon Club
Hostel For : Male
- Comp Labs