The Bharathiar University was established at Coimbatore by the Government of Tamilnadu in February, 1982 under the provision of the Bharathiar University Act, 1981 (Act 1 of 1982). The University named after the great national poet Subramania Bharathi. It is the aim of the University to participate in the task of inculcating necessary Knowledge, Skills and Creative Attitudes and values among the youth of the country to contribute more effectively towards establishing an equitable social and economic and secular ideal of our nation
- Motto of the University is” Educate to Elevate”
- Vision of the University is “To provide internationally comparable quality higher education to the youth”
- Mission of the university is “To impart knowledge and skills to students equipping them to be ready to face the emerging challenges to the knowledge area”
- The University is situated at the backdrop of Maruthamalai Hills in the Western Ghat range, in a sprawling campus of 1000 acres of land. 15 kms. From the City of Coimbatore
- University has 108 affiliated colleges, 96 Arts and Science Colleges, 3 University Consituent Colleges, and 1 Air Force Administration College
Extracurricular Activities -
Journals ( National & International )
- Space Festival 2012- Space Festival 2012, a week long program was conducted by Bharathiar University in collaboration with National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) – USA, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
Times of India
The Sunday Indian
Awards - The University Grants Commission (UGC) has awarded the status of Colleges with potential for Excellence to three colleges under the Bharathiar University in 2011
- Government of Tamilnadu post matric Scholarships - BC-MBC students/scholars Candidates should have secured minimum 75% of attendance in the previous year of study. Annual income of parents should be below Rs.1, 00,000
- Higher Educational Special Loan Scholarship -SC-ST Converted Christian students. Candidates should be staying in the University Hostel. Annual income of the parents should be belowRs.50, 000/-.
- Government of Indian Scholarship -SC-ST, Convertered Christian Adi-Dravidar students. Candidates should have secured minimum 75% of attendance in the previous year of study. Annual income of parents should be below Rs.1, 00, 000/- for SC and for ST candidates with an annual income below Rs.1, 08,000/-.
- Comp Labs