University of Mysore is a name which has been symbolized as one of the pillars of Indian education system and providing a great quality of education for the last 98 years. The University happened to be the first outside the sphere of the English management in India, the sixth university in India, and the first university of the state of Karnataka.
- The University was established in the year of 1916 with only two faculties, explicitly Arts and Science and gradually became a multi-faculty university
- After the independence of India the University enacted by new act of 1956 (Mysore University Act.) which conducted academic autonomy
- The university is located at JLB Road, Mysore, Karnataka besides a beautiful lake called Kukkarahalli Lake
- This is truly an International standard University which has 1400 international students from 50 different countries
- The mission of the University of Mysore laid down during its inception aims at ‘promoting teaching and research in conventional and traditional spheres of Arts, Humanities, Pure and Applied Sciences and Professional disciplines’
The central campus of the University, formed in 1960, situated to the west of the Kukkarahalli Lake. The University headquarters, the Crawford Hall, is located across the lake to the east. The main campus was given the name "Manasagangotri". It has 15 institutions under which it provides high quality education at per international standard. The list of the institutes are as follows,-
- Academic Staff College
- Ambedkar Research Center
- B. N. Bahadur Institute of Management Sciences
- Babu Jagjivan Ram Studies, Research and Extension Center.
- Centre for Information Science and Technology
- Centre for Women Studies
- Centre for Social inclusion and Exclusion policies
- Educational Multimedia Research Centre
- Institute of Development Studies
- International School of Information Management.
- Kuvempu Institution of Kannada Studies
- Oriental Research institute
- School of Foreign Language
- Third Sector Research Centre
- Univ. School of Design.
- Mysore University School of Justice, Centre for Law
The university also organizes a number of literary events to encourage students for the extracurricular activities. Some of the events are,
- Inter-University South Zonal Youth Festival
- Karnataka state co-operation Department Inter Collegiate Debate Competition.
- State Level Inter-University Debate competition
- Inter-Departmental Debate and Essay Writing Competition etc.
- Collection of 1.8 lakhs covering books, reference work, and journal baked volumes
- The E resource developed by the library helps admittance to 185000 Volumes, and 110 CD’S
- The University was first accredited with Five Star status in 2000 by NAAC
- The University was reaccredited in 2006 at A+ level
- Again NAAC accredited A grade 2013
- UGC awarded UOM with UPE (University of Potential for Excellence)
- Government of India considers University of Mysore as ‘Institution of Excellence’
- Endowment Scholarships
- University Merit Scholarships
- University Sports Scholarships
- University Subject Scholarships – Semester Courses
- University Subject Scholarship – Non Semester Courses
- Scholarship for Gandhian Studies
- Poverty-cum-progress Scholarships
- New Endowment Scholarships
- Award of University Research Fellowships
- Comp Labs