Savitribai Phule Pune University was established on 10th February, 1949 under the Poona University ActPune is a primary educational hub of Maharashtra. Various students from each corner of India come to Pune. It is a truly sheltered and tranquil city when contrasted with other educational focuses in India. The atmosphere of Pune is useful for health.
- The city of Pune houses a lot of people well-known, built organizations and colleges. University of Pune is one of the finest and most prevalent educational focuses in the city.
- It offers fantastic projects in different regions incorporating Science, Commerce, Arts, Languages and Management Studies.
- University of Pune, one of the head schools in India, is positioned in the North-western section of Pune city.
- It possesses a territory of 411 sections of land.
- It is prevalently reputed to be the 'Oxford of the East'. It has in its vicinity 307 distinguished examination foundations and 612 subsidiary colleges offering graduate and under-graduate courses.
- The university lures numerous remote students because of its astounding offices. It offers exceptional convenience office.
- There is a procurement of hostel for the students. There is a generally loaded library holding more than enough books in regards to different subjects.
- The university offers diverse scholarships to the students. The university behavioral workshops and gatherings for the students is a primary center for academic assistance.
Research:70 research institutions have been recognised by Savitribai Phule Pune University.
These include Institutions of national importance like the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE), National Centre For Cell Science (NCCS), National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), National Institute of Virology (NIV), Documentation Research and Training Centre(DRTC) of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) among others.
Other research organisations which are associated with the university are:
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (runs the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope)
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (home to the PARAM range of supercomputers)
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology (IBB)
Pune University Library & Information Science Alumni Association (PULISAA) was formally inaugurated on 19th January 1997.
PULISAA aims at strengthening the professional and emotional bonds between the alumni and their alma mater.
- Vishwanath Pratap Singh, 7th Prime Minister of India.
- Vilasrao Deshmukh, 17th and 19th Chief Minister of Maharashtra
Kantilal Mardia, statistician and Guy Medallists
Thomas Kailath, scientist in the field of information theory
Vistasp Karbhari, civil engineer and the eighth president of the University of Texas at Arlington
C. Kumar N. Patel, inventor of the carbon dioxide laser, recipient of the 1996 National Medal of Science and vice-Chancellor for Research at theUniversity of California, Los Angeles
Workshops, Seminars & Conferences:-
- 90th Seminar at SATURDAY MEET, Dept of Microbiology University of Pune "Protein-protein interactions as drug targets – hype or reality?" By Dr Sorab Dalal Advanced Centre for Treatment, Research and Education in Cancer(ACTREC)
- 89th Seminar at SATURDAY MEET, Dept of Microbiology University of Pune on " Overview of Carcinogenesis ” By Dr. G. B.Maru Honorary Consultant, ACTREC Professor, Homi Bhabha National Institute on 20th September ,2014,3.00 pm
- National Workshop on “Teaching and Learning Biology: Problem Solving Approach” 4th August - 11th August 2014; at Department of Microbiology, University of Pune, Pune
- Vipassana Meditation : Art of Living" The Special Lecture Dept of Microbiology University of Pune
- International Seminar on Social Inequalities in Higher Education : Identifying Parallels in India and Brazil
- Science day Exhibition at Department of Microbiology, University of Pune on 28th Feb 2014
- "Serendipity in Science” by Dr.K.C Mohite Dean Faculty of Science,University of Pune Principal, H. V. Desai College Pune on 1st February 2014, 4.00 pm
The National Center for Science: The National Center for Cell Science (NCCS) took birth as National Tissue Culture Facility in 1986 with a mandate of basic research, teaching & training and as a national repository for cell lines / hybridomas etc. The center has expanded its scientific charter to strengthen basic research in the areas of cancer biology, immunology, cell biology, genomics and proteomics.
Jayakar Library:- The Library was established in January 1950, named in honor of the First Vice-Chancellor Dr. M.R. Jayakar.
- Participation in UGC- INFLIBNET program. Under this program access to more than 2000 journals is provided.
- Jayakar library is a part of Universal Digital Library program since 2002.
- Implementation of RFID technology in the library along with smart cards to faculty and students.
Books and Periodicals
Theses & Dissertations
Gramophone Records/ AV
Periodicals subscribed (Print)
Periodicals received gratis (Print)
- The UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) Scholarship for more information.
- UK government's global scholarship programme of chevening scholarships for more information.
- Regarding Advertisement of Central Government Post Matric Scholarship for Minority Students Academic Year 2014-15.
- Circular Regarding M.Phil/Ph.D. Stipend for College Student.
- Regarding Scholarship for Handicap, EBC,PTC, STC, Ex-Serviceman, Minority, National Meritorial, Non-Hindi & Ekalya for 2013-14.
- Circular Regarding GOI Scholarship/Freeship Forms Information.
- Arthik Durbal Ghatak Scholarship 2012-13
- Post Matric Scholarship 2012-13
- Krantijyoti Savitrimata Phule Scholarship 2012-13
The Pune University is 16th number of rank of all over India.
- Comp Labs