The Utkal University, was established in 1943, is the seventeenth oldest University in India. The Foundation stone of this campus was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India on 1st January 1958 and the was inaugurated by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the second President of India on 2nd January 1963.
- This is teaching-cum-affiliating University. There are at present twenty-seven Post-Graduate Departments for Post-Graduate studies and research in various disciplines of Science, Business Administration, Social Science, Humanities, Law and Commerce.
- This is the largest affiliating University in the country with approximately 267 affiliated Colleges (Degree Colleges-219, Professional College-44, and Other Constituent Colleges-2) under its jurisdiction, 15 law colleges, 6 medical and pharmacy colleges.
- The University has now the jurisdiction over 9 districts, viz, Angul, Dhenkanal, Cuttack, Jajpur, Jagatsinghpur, Khurda, Kendrapara, Nayagarh and Puri and is spread over an area of 24,973 sq. kilometers catering to the needs of higher education of a population of more than 110 lakhs.
- The University has twenty-seven Post-Graduate teaching and research departments located within the campus and three constituent Institutions, viz. Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education, University Law College at Vani Vihar and M.S. Law College at Cuttack.
- Besides the regular courses, twenty-six sponsored courses are offered under the direct academic control of the P.G. Council of the University.
- There are nearly 3,000 students in the post-graduate departments at Vani Vihar.
- The main and present location is at Vani Vihar, Bhubaneswar is the largest campus, spread over almost 400 acre area.
- It is the heart of the city which is right on NH-5.
- The campus can accommodate almost 3,000 students.
- Achyuta Samanta, renowned social entrepreneur and founder of KIIT group of institutions.
- Gopal Ballav Pattanaik, ex. Chief Justice of India
- Hara Prasad Mishra, eminent bio-chemist based in USA
- Janaki Ballabh Patnaik, former Chief Minister of Odisha and the current Governor of Assam
- Jayanti Patnaik, member of parliament, author and editor
- The Utkal University Library was established in 1946. The Library of the Utkal University is named as "PARIJA LIBRARY" in the memory of late Dr. Pranakrishna Parija, the first Vice-Chancellor of the University and Scientist of international repute.
- There are 237695 no. of books, 1572 Books and Theses have been received as donations. 236 nos. of journals, both Indian and foreign, 3673 nos. of Manuscripts are available in the Parija Library.
Hostel: There are eleven six for male and four for female with all facilities. All the hostels are supervised by the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent and coordinated by the warden.
Kuntala Kumari Chatrinivas
Sarala Devi Chatrinivas
Malati Devi Chatrinivas
- Comp Labs