Vinoba Bhave University (VBU) is a premier University of Jharkhand. The division of Ranchi University resulted in the creation of the Vinoba Bhave University which came under the Jharkhand State after its formation in the year 2000. It was established in 1992 by the Bihar Assembly through the Act 3 of 1990. The university was named after Acharya Vinoba Bhave who was the pioneer of the Bhoodan Movement and a great saint.
- The block of post graduate and the administrative and also the engineering college of the university are located on the NH 33 of Patna-Ranchi
- The jurisdiction of the university stretches up to a greater area of North Chotanagpur that includes Ramgarh, Bokaro, Koderma, Chatra, the districts of Hazaribag and a few such.
- All the Ayurvedic, Sanskrit and Homeopathic colleges of Jharkhand are also under the authority of the university
- On 17th January, 1990 the foundation stone was laid by the then Chief Minister of Bihar, Dr. Jagannath Mishra and (Late) Dr. Vinodini Tewary became the first Vice Chancellor in 1992
- VBU has been recognized by the UGC under section 12 (B) of the UGC Act, 1956 which meant that the UGC would look after and finance the university for its overall development
- In 1992, December the university got the membership of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and its rapid success growth made it a permanent member in the year 2001
- It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, London as well
- The university has a sprawling area of 61.17 acres of land granted by the Government of Jharkhand in the Sindoor region
- It administers a total of 22 post graduate departments and many medical and engineering colleges too are run by it
- There are diverse courses offered in the university and the AICTE has even approved the MCA and MBA courses
- Infrastructure is of the supreme level in the university providing the students with all sorts of facilities and opportunities they need to grow.
- The university promotes various extracurricular activities as well so as to make the students fit and prepared in every field.
- Department of Social Science
- Department of Humanities
- Department of Science
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Management
- Department of Engineering
Along with the strong academic curriculum the university also encourages various extracurricular activities amongst the students.
- Arts and Culture Board manages the cultural activities
- Sports Control Board organizes the sporting events
- The NSS Unit of the university does the work of making the rural people aware about several diseases, superstitions, illiteracy and so on
- Comp Labs