The Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agriculture University is situated in the Hisar district of Haryana which is 162 km north west of Delhi.It is one of the best known institutions for agricultural research in the country and one of the best agriculture university in Asia too. It is situated on the national highway and is 2.5 kilometers away from Hisar railway station and about three kilometers away from the Bus stand. It has a wide campus area of about 7300 acres in hisar and about 1500 acres at outstations with lots of open space where students can relax and unwind after finishing their classes or during free periods between their classes.
- The University was initially one part of the famous Punjab Agricultural University that is located in Ludhiana.
- In 1966 the university was granted an autonomous status as well.
- It became a fully functioning university in 1970 after a presidential decree was passed and which later came to be ratified as the well known Haryana and Punjab Agricultural Universities Act of the year 1970.
- The institution is named after Chaudhary Charan Singh who was the seventh in line of the many prime ministers of India.
- It is popular for the contributions that it has made to the Green Revolution that took place in India during the decade of the nineteen sixties and the nineteen seventies.
Indeed it is one of the best places in India now where one can pursue higher education in agricultural research and training. There are two campuses of the university. The main one is situated in Hisar while the second campus is situated in Kaul.
The University is characterized by the following departments:
- College of Veterinary Science
- College of Agriculture
- College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology
- College of Home Science
- College of Basic Sciences
- College of Animal Sciences
- A campus school that provides education for students up to the twelfth grade
- There are a total of fourteen hostels providing accommodation for students of the university. Out of these twelve are situated in the Hisar campus itself and the remaining two are located in the Kaul campus. Out of the twelve hostels at Hisar, eight are reserved for boys only and two are reserved only for girls.
- The library of the university is one that remains open for as many as fifteen to sixteen hours in a given day. There are six reading halls of the library and as many as six hundred and fifty people can sit here at a time and conduct their reading activities.
- There is a computer lab at the university comprising of eight different rooms. Gateway to internet portals can be accessed by students here.
- Medical Services: A well-equipped 50 bed Hospital is at the main campus, Hisar and 3 Dispensaries at out-station which are at College of Agriculture, Kaul (Kaithal), Regional Research Stations, Karnal and Bawal. The Hospital at the main campus has is fully functional with 5 Doctors and a Dentist. Medical aid is provided round the clock to the students, staff and other trainees.
- Comp Labs