Bangalore University is situated in the capital city of Bangalore in Karnataka, India and is one of the premier educational institutions in the country.
- In 1964, Bangalore University was formally established as nothing but an extension of the existing Mysore University.
- It is accredited by NAAC with A grade
- It is a part of Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
- It is recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC)
- It has two campuses City Campus, Central College and another Jnana Bharathi Campus.
- The aim of the founders of the University was to incorporate all well-known higher learning institutions in Karnataka as a whole, under it.
- Bangalore University now ranks among the largest universities in the continent of Asia and not just in the country alone.
- While Bangalore University is an affiliating University the original intention of the founders was to get this to serve as a federal University
- The University is structured into six faculties- Arts, Science, Commerce & Management, Education, Law and Engineering
- There are three constituent colleges under Bangalore University, 473 affiliated colleges and 41 post graduate academic departments
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Apparel Technology and Management
- Canara Bank School of Management
- Department of Communication
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Education
- Ravi Shankar, Spiritual Leader
- Anushka Sharma, Bollywood Actress
- Nirupama Rao, Diplomat
- Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, Politician
- C. N. R. Rao, Scientist, Bharat Ratna Winner
- Anil Kumble, Former Cricketer
- Rahul Dravid, Former Cricketer
National Service Scheme: NSS strength allocated to the University by State Government is 16,000 volunteers. There are 8,800 male and 7,200 female volunteers in NSS Units.
- The library at Bangalore University contains a collection of more than 58,000 book volumes and over 450 periodicals all of which range across as many as 45 different academic disciplines
- It is subscribed 35 magazines and 47 newspapers and it has 1389 CD’s available
- There are seven hostels on the J.B. Campus and three on the City campus. There are two men’s hostels at Tumkur and Kolar and one Ladies hostels at Kolar. Hostel canteens are managed by student prefects
- Hostel facility to the PG Students is limited to 2 years only.
Access to internet facilities to students is widely available on the campus itself. The entire campus is serviced by wireless internet access options thus making browsing the web a very easy and convenient affair for students who attend this University, through the use of their devices
- Comp Labs