The name of the University is itself that of an icon of learning (Pandit Iswar Chandra Bandyopadhyay, who was popularly known as Pandit Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar).
- The University is situated at Paschim Medinipur, Midnapore, in the state of West Bengal.
- Vidyasagar University has been recognized by the UGC and approved by the AICTE.
- Vidyasagar University is run by the state government
- It is also affiliating and a research University.
- The University was set up in the year 1981 (the 29th of September) via the Vidyasagar University Act 1981 (West Bengal Act XVIII of 1981) of the state of West Bengal.
- The University got its UGC recognition on the 1st of March, 1990 under section 12 B.
- The idea sprang from many institutions and particularly by the celebrated Regional Education Association, Midnapore that was headed by Professor A.K. Gayen of IIT, Kharagpur.
- University is also accredited by NAAC
There are at first 36 colleges and almost 42, 000 enrolments. The University is presently providing with 27 PG departments (with an exception of MBA, which is run by the Department of Commerce with Farm Management). There are 12 departments in Humanities and another 15 in the Science.
- Chemistry & Chemical Technology
- Biomedical Laboratory Science &Mgt etc.
Hostel: There are 174 seats for the boys and 152 for the girls..
Library: The Library is very much well equipped. There are four floors and thus the collection is enormous.
- There are 75000 volumes that comprises of many Reference Books, Text Books and Bound volumes of Journals and Standards.
- At present, there are 135 journals being subscribed.
Computer Center: The University is providing the campus with LAN connection (Optical Fiber based GBIC) with 400 nodes. Thus internet is very easily accessible.
University Scientific Instrumentation Centre: There are many instrumental facilities that are provided in the departments. These have been sponsored by the DST, UGC Government of India.
- Comp Labs