Veer Narmad South Gujrat University is a semi urban University established under South University Act, 1965 passed by Gujarat State Legislative Assembly. It was renamed as Veer Narmad South Gujarat University in the year 2004 after the Gujarat Poet Veer Narmad.
- It became functional from the year 1966 and was declared as a University on 23 May, 1967. It received recognition by the University Grants Commission in 1968 and helps the students in seven districts and one Union Territory.
- The seven districts are Narmada, Valsad, Dangs, Navsaari, Surat, Bharuch and Tapi with Daman (Union Territory). The University is located on Udhana-Magdalla road in Surat, South Gujarat.
- The University has 78 Grant-in- aid Colleges, 129 selves- financed Colleges and 87 post-graduate teaching centres attached to affiliated colleges. There 17 Post Graduate Departments on the University Campus that give specialized courses including self-financed programmes.
- The Faculty has 99 permanent teachers and 328 non- teaching staff. The University has 17 departments in which around 3000 students study on campus.
- The University offers Science, Arts, Engineering, Management, Commerce courses etc. spreading across all disciplines.
- The Departments of Computer Science, Rural Studies, RMSS & HRD, Chemistry, M.Sc. (I.T) and Mass Communication & Journalism have independent models.
Placement Cell: Departments such as the Department of Business and Industrial Management, Computer Science, Economics, Human Resource Development enable students to secure jobs with leading companies. Extension of the State Government Employment Exchange is also functional on the campus.
Hostel Facility: The University has hostel facilities for both boys and girls. It has seven boy’s hostels and five girl’s hostels.
- There is a common mess for students residing in Boy’s Hostel with most of them from SC, ST and OBC.
- The intake capacity of students is 394 in the Girl’s Hostel; 425 girls reside at present owing to a heavy rush for accommodation. The common mess of Girl’s hostel has a sitting capacity of 200.
Library: The University has a well- structured library in the heart of the campus. It has books, journals, newsletters and different reference books for both students and staff members.
- It has a collection of 1, 64,620 books, 1,264 theses and 8787 dissertations among other reading materials.
- The Library has subscriptions to 234 Indian Journals and 34 foreign journals.
- The University has recently got access to online journals through UGC – INFONET and J-GATE. This has been very beneficial for the students as 8000 online journals can be accessed in seven different disciplines.
Health Centre: The University is equipped with a health centre which also possesses a full time OPD centre in a separate building.
Sports Facilities: Students are provided sports facilities like a playground with tracks and a basket ball court. There is also a fitness centre for keeping students fit and healthy.
- NAAC credited the university with a B++ ranking in the year 2004
- The MCA program ranks among the top five computer application programmes available in Gujarat
- Comp Labs