Top Reasons to Join this Institute:
IGE is quite well-equipped and has world-class infrastructure to facilitate advanced academics and research works. It includes:
Institute of Genetic Engineering (IGE) was established in 2003 by BIOTECH FOUNDATION to ensure quality teaching and research in Genetics and Biotechnology. With an aim to develop into a Centre of Excellence in Genetics, Biotehnology, and Microbiology in West Bengal, it offers 3-year Honours degree courses as well as two-year post graduate degrees in affiliation with the West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT).
The institute has an excellent group of FACULTY with a wealth of research experience as per university norms. Starting with just UG courses (B. Sc. Hons) in Biotechnology and Microbiology that were affiliated with University of Kalyani in 2003, IGE added B.Sc. Hons in Genetics and Molecular Biology affiliated with the same to its kitty in 2004. Since 2006, it is also offering PG in Genetic Engineering from WBUT.
Professor Amit Chakravarty
Molecular Geneticist and Biotechnologist of International fame with 30 years teaching and research experience at the leading academic centers in the USA, UK and India is heading the Institute as Director.
The career and achievements:
M. Sc. In Biochemistry (Bombay University)
Ph. D. in Medical Biochemistry (Bombay University)
(From Grant Medical College & J. J. Hospital, Mumbai.)
(1) Sudipa Basu & Amit Chakravarty: Population screening of Thalassaemia - A Preliminary report ; 15th National Congress of Perinatology ; 3 - 4th April, (1999).
(2) Sudipa Basu and Amit Chakravarty: Thalassaemia trait in our population; BOGS regional annual conference ; Kalyani ; 21st August, (1999).
(3) Sudipa Basu and Amit chakravarty: Thalassaemia Screening : BOGS Annual Conference, Kolkata ,27th February, (2000).
(4) Sudipa Basu and Amit Chakravarty: Population screening of Thalassaemia in Eastern part of India; 2nd International Conference on Thalassaemia; New Delhi; (2000).
(5) Amit Chakravarty, Hema Purandarey, Sharad Gogate, Raju Sahetya, Gopal Jaiswal, Pranab Dasgupta, K Ghosh, S Mishra, S Dasgupta. Prenatal diagnosis of genetic disorders - Indian multi-centric experience. ISPD, Barcelona (Spain) (2002)
(6) Amit Chakravarty and Sudipa Basu : Thalassaemia Screening in Eastern part of India ; ISPAT Annual Congress ; Pune ; 16th January, (2002).
(7) Sudipa Basu Chakravarty and Amit Chakravarty : Genetic Screening and Prevention of Thalassaemia in Indian population ; ISPD ; Japan ; (2002).
(8) Amit Chakravarty, Hema Purandarey, Sharad Gogate, Raju Sahetya, Gopal Jaiswal, R P Soonawala, Pranab Dasgupta, Sudipa Chakravarty. Prenatal diagnosis of genetic disorders - a multi-centric Indian data. ISPD, Japan (2002)
(9) Jhimli Dasgupta, Udayaditya Sen, Debi Choudhury, Poppy Datta, Abhijit Chakrabarti, Sudipa Basu Chakravarty, Amit Chakravarty and J.K.Dattagupta: Crystallization and Preliminary X-ray structural studies of Haemoglobin A2 and Haemoglobin E, isolated from the blood samples of beta-thalassemic patients;Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications.(2003).
(10) Poppy Datta, Sudipa Basu Chakravarty, Amit Chakravarty and Abhijit Chakrabarti: Interaction of erythroid spectrin with hemoglobin variants: Implications in beta-Thalassemia; Blood Cells, Molecules & Diseases, (2003).
(11) Udayaditya Sen, Jhimli Dasgupta, Debi Choudhury, Poppy Datta,| Abhijit Chakrabarti,| Sudipa Basu Chakrabarty, ?Amit Chakrabarty,?and Jiban K. Dattagupta. Crystal Structures of HbA2 and HbE and Modeling of Hemoglobin 4: Interpretation of the Thermal Stability and the Antisickling Effect of HbA2 and Identification of the Ferrocyanide Binding Site in Hb Biochemistry; (2004).
(12) Poppy Dutta, Sumanta Basu, Sudipa Basu Chakravarty, Amit Chakravarty, Debashish Banerjee, Sharmila Chandra, Abhijit Chakrabarti. Enhanced oxidative cross-linking of hemoglobin E with spectrin and loss of erythrocyte membrane asymmetry in hemoglobin E?-thalassemia. Blood, Cells and Molecules (2006)
(13) Poppy Dutta, Sudipa Chakravarty, Amit Chakravarty and Abhijit Chakrabarti. Spectrin interactions of globin chains in presence of phosphate metabolites and hydrogen peroxide : Implications in Thalassemia. J of Bioscience. (2007)
(14) Dipankar Bhattacharya, Sutapa Saha, Sumanta Basu, Sudipa Chakravarty , Amit Chakravarty , Debashis Banerjee & Abhijit Chakrabarti. Differential regulation of redox proteins and chaperones in erythrocyte proteomes with varying severity of HbE?-thalassemia. Blood, Cells & Molecules (accepted for publication) (2009) 15) Population Screening strategies for Thalssaemia in Eastern India ; Experience of 19,762 cases ; Sudipa Chakravarty, Tridip Chatterjee and Amit Chakravarty ; Institute of Genetic Engineering, Kolkata ; Birth Defects & Disabilities in The Developing World ; 4th International Conference; New Delhi, India, 4-7 Oct, 2009
16. Application of HR-CGH in Chromosomal Aberrations ; Amit Chakravarty,Sudipa Chakravarty, Puspal De, Arun Singh ; Institute Of Genetic Medicine and Genomic Science,Kolkara-128 ; Birth Defects & Disabilities in The Developing World ; 4th International Conference; New Delhi, India, 4-7 Oct, 2009 17. Hb-E Beta thalassaemia- wide spectrum of clinical severity in Eastern Inia & Prospective Management ; Sudipa Chakravarty, Tridip Chatterjee, Dipankar bhattacherjee, Sutapa Saha, Sumanta basu, Abhijit Chakraborty, Amit Chakravarty ; Institute of Genetic Engineering, Structural Genomics Divisionn, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics; Kolkata ; Birth Defects & Disabilities in The Developing World ; 4th International Conference; New Delhi, India, 4-7 Oct, 2009 18. Study of Molecular Background favorable for Hydroxyurea Therapy in Hb-E-beta Thalassaemai patients ; Sudipa Chakravarty, Ritushree Kukreja , Amit Chakravarty, Harpeet Kaur ; Institute of Genetic Engineering , Kolkata ; Functional Genomic unit, Institute Genomics and Integrative Biology, New delhi ; Birth Defects & Disabilities in The Developing World ; 4th International Conference; New Delhi, India, 4-7 Oct, 2009 19. Fetal Chromsomal Anomalies Detected in 10,480 CVS cases ; A Multicentric Prenatal Diagnosis Indian Data ; Amit Chakravarty, Hemat Purandarey, Sudipa Chakravarty ; Institute of Genetc Medicine and Genomic Science, Kolkata; Centre of Genetic Health Care, Mumbai ; Birth Defects & Disabilities in The Developing World ; 4th International Conference; New Delhi, India, 4-7 Oct, 2009