Patna University was established in the year 1917 and it functioned as affiliating and examining body for over 30 years. From January 2, 1952 the University was converted into a purely teaching -cum-residential University with the territorial jurisdiction over Metropolitan Patna.
- The university was established under The Patna University 1976 [Bihar Act 24 of 1976].
- It is the seventh oldest Universities in the Country and In Bihar it is the first University.
- The Patna University has 31 Postgraduate Departments in the different fields.
- The University also offers self-financed courses of Master of Business Administration (MBA) in the Department of Applied Economics and Commerce, the Department of Personal Management and Industrial Relation etc.
- The University was fortunate to be guided by eminent personalities of Bihar and Orissa viz. Hasan Imam (ex-President of Indian National Congress), Sachidanand Sinha (the first President of the Constituent Assembly of India and the longest serving Vice-Chancellor of Patna University), Braj Kishore Prasad (a great freedom fighter) and Dr. Rajendra Prasad (the first President of our republic and an eminent freedom fighter) to name a few.
- There are thirteen colleges under the jurisdiction of Patna University, out of which 3 are of girls and 8 are co-educational Institutions.
- The University has a sprawling campus spread in the area of 180 acres, stretching over a distance of 10 km, extending from the Patna Women’s College to the Patna Law College and is situated on the bank of the river Ganga.
Seminars and Workshops:
- University workshop on National e-Governance Plan
- 49th Annual Conference of the Indian Econometric Society at the Department of Statistics
- National Conference on Mathematics
B. N. College
Patna Science College
College of Arts & Crafts
Patna Training College
Magadh Mahila College
Patna Women’s College
Patna Law College
Women’s Training College
Department of English
Department of Arabic
Department of Hindi
Department of Urdu
Department of Sanskrit
Department of Economics
Department of Bengali
Department of Sociology
Department of Maithli
Department of Geography
Sports Awards and Honors:
- Hosted East Zone Inter University Cricket Tournament and the team qualified and participated in the Inter Zonal Tournament and also selected for participating in the Vizzy Trophy Tournament at Amritsar.
- The sports team comprising around 60 boys and girls participated in “Eklavya”, the Inter University Sports meet held at Ara and brought home twenty three medals.
- Inter University Table Tennis meet at L. N. M. University, Darbhanga.
- The power lifting team from PU won the Bronze medal at the All India Powerlifting Competition held at Amritsar, 2012.
- Lifetime Achievement Award to Prof. Lalji Prasad (Department of Mathematics)
- Padmshree award to Dr. Kalim Ajiz
- The Central Library of the University is catering to the needs of the students, staff and research scholars. The Library has been connected to internet and steps are being taken to computerize the working.
- The Library is connected to INFLIBNET and steps to computerize its working are under process.
No. of Volumes
4, 00, 000
- 2500 Scholarships for the Students with Disabilities
- Mexican Government Scholarship 2015 for International Students
- Comp Labs