Established in the year 1913, Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics was came into the existence to provide quality and affordable education. We provide various under graduate and post graduate courses in the field of banking and finance and management. Sydenham college of Commerce and Economics is the first college offered commerce education in India. We have the top lecture as our faculty members. We provide hostel facilities for the student from distant places.
- Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics organizes Career Fair every year which gives information about various courses & careers after 10th, 12th & Graduation
- It also arranges Campus Placements
Top Recruiting Companies
Last years placements were made in companies like:
- J. P. Morgan Chess
- E & Y
- Citi Group
- Duetsch Bank
- The college provides accommodation to the male students at the Government Colleges Hostel situated right behind the college building on C- Road, Churchgate.Here one hundred and thirty students from Sydenham College get accommodation every year.
- It has a common room, library, reading room, recreation room, sports hall, a canteen and mess. It also houses an extension counter of State Bank of India.
- For girls the accommodation is available at Telang Memorial Hostel, C-Road, Churchgate, and Savitribai Phule Government Girls Hostel, Marine Drive, Charni Road. However, only limited number of female students get accommodation here.
- The students can apply to the college for hostel accommodation. Thereafter, a selection committee, comprising of the Principal and senior professors screen these applications, interviews the candidates and recommends the most eligible cases to the Government.The Government informs the Hostel Superintendent so that the most neediest ones get the accommodation.
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
Sydenham college of Commerce and Economics provides following facilities to its students:
- Sydenham being the oldest institution of commerce education in the country has a library with a collection of over fifty thousand classical and modern books.
- It also subscribes to several national and international journals and periodicals of commerce and economics.
- 2 well equipped laboratories
- In one lab Internet Surfing called SPIN is accessible to the students and faculty.
- In the other labs the practicals of various classes like S.Y.B.Com, T.Y.B.Com, B.M.S, Banking & Insurance and Y.C.M.O.U classes are held.
- Gymkhana offers a number of facilities to the students.
- A basket ball court, a volley ball court, a badminton court, and two-table table tennis hall. Besides, facilities for games like chess and carom (four board room) also are available.
- The games like cricket, football, handball, kho-kho and kabaddi are played at Oval Maidan, where the college has a reserved pitch.
Students Common Room :
- The college auditorium has a capacity of four hundred and fifty comfortable seats.
- It offers sound and light effects for budding dramatists of the college, besides it serves as the venue for other activities like co-curricular and extra-curricular programmes, seminars, symposia and golden Jubilee Lectures.
- Commonroom accommodates several college societies, where office bearers and members meet and chalk out their programmes.
The Co-operative Stores:
- The Cooperative Store of the college runs the canteen, named J. C. Gupta Aharika.
- Its environs are clean and hygienic, food is sumptuous but rates are subsidised.
- At store, stationary, books, note books, computer practical books, DTP and photocopying facilities are available at reasonable rates.
Some of the eminent faculties are
- Dr.(Smt.) M. V. Kagalkar - Principal
- Dr. M.B Bhide
- Dr. R K Singhal
- Shri K P Shah
- Adv. A n Kotangale
- Dr. S D Singh
- Shri V.G Chawle
Sydenham College is a pioneer institution of commerce education in India. The college was established on 22 October 1913. The key highlights of the college are:
- First college offering commerce courses in India
- Bharat Ratna Awardee Dr. B.r Ambedkar worked as professor from 1918 to 1920
- Has 25 societies and associations which conducts various extra curricular activities
- NAAC accredited
- A special postal stamp dedicated to the college
- Large number of students get selected by US, Australian universities for higher education
- Kumar Mangalam Birla (Birla Group)
- Kantikumar Podar (Podar Group)
- Suresh Kotak (Kotak Group)
- Vijaypat Singhania (Raymonds)
- Vikas Kasliwal (S. Kumars)
- Rajendra Mehta (Mehta Group)
- Padmanabh Mafatlal (Mafatlal Group)
- Anirudh Dhoot (Videocon)
- Shailesh Sheth (PMT)
- Niranjan Hiranandani (Hiranandani Group)
- Bansi Mehta
- N. P. Sarda
- Raendra Aneja
- Nirmal Manerikar
- Y. M. Kale
- Rajesh Chaturvedi
- Deepak Ghaisas
- Julio Ribairo (IPS)
- Vinod Khanna
- Juhi Chawla
- Hrithik Roshan
- Rahul Bose
- Sanjana Kapoor
- Sanjay Gupta
- Atul Agnihotri
- Sameera Reddy
- Shiamak Davar
- Uday Chopra
- Gayatri Joshi