- Constituent of IIT Bombay
- Provides good placements
- Offers innovative courses in design
- State-of-the-art infrastructure
- Qualified and experienced faculty
Various Industries, Firms and Organizations come to IIT and take fresh students from IDC. Students get several job offers even before completing the course as IDCians are much in demand. The Placement Office of IIT Bombay takes care of campus placements for the graduating students. Some of the activities of the placement office are:
- Arrangements for Pre-Placement Talks
- Written Tests
- Group Discussions etc
- Industrial Design Centre (IDC) provides 13 hostels for students
- Each hostel has its own mess facilities, recreational areas, etc.
Infrastructure / Teaching Facilities
Eating out Facilities in Campus:
- Campus has retained and increased its green cover, rich in natural flora and fauna.
- Institute is located on a 220 hectares green campus in the north eastern suburbs of Mumbai.
- Excellent facilities for sports, including a swimming pool, tennis, badminton and squash courts, and vast playgrounds for field games.
- Campus itself has two banks
- A shopping centre
- Two excellent schools for children
- Well equipped hospital.
- Nescafe (Coffee Shack)
- Gulmohar Cafeteria
- Staff Canteen
- Hostel Canteens
- Basic research
- Product Ergonomics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Facilities for conducting studies and evaluation of user-centered design.
- Rapid Prototyping Laboratory
- Facilities for making physical objects directly from CAD models
- FDM (RP) machine is available for experimentation and product development in partnership with the Mechanical Engineering Department at IIT Bombay
- Metal Studio
- Wood Studio
- Plastic Studio
- Ceramic Studio
- Photo Studio
- Animation Studio
- Print Studio
All the Studios arefully equipped materials focused studios, with facilities for making scale models as well as full size prototypes.
- Library is well stocked with books and design publications
- Subscribes to all major international design journals and magazines
- The range covers design, graphics, photography, cinema, type design, typography, graphic design, ergonomics, design management, product design, environment design, interaction design, etc
- The collection includes films, CD ROMs, video cassettes and DVD's
- Athavankar, U A - Professor
- Bapat, V P - Professor
- Balan Sudesh - Assistant Professor
- Chakravarthy, B K - Professor and Head
- Dalvi, Girish - Assistant Professor
- Hingorani, Alka - Professor
- Joshi, Anirudha - Professor
- Joshi, Purba - Lecturer
- K Ramachandran - Professor
- Mohanty, Raja - Associate Professor
- Munshi, K - Professor
- Poovaiah, Ravi - Professor
- P. Kumaresan - Assistant Professor
- Industrial Design Centre (IDC) was established in 1969
- It was established by the Government of India under the aegis of Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- It was started with the aim " to prepare students to enter into new creative activities as professional industrial designers who with experience and maturity can reach the highest level of design practice, research and development necessary for the industry"
- The Institute is located on a 220 hectares green campus in the north eastern suburbs of Mumbai
- Institution provides excellent environment for academics, research and applications in the field of design
- IDC offers courses in the areas of Industrial Design, Visual Communication, Interaction Design and Animation
- The programmes are a mix of pedagogic experimentation with pragmatic design approach